Transmission/Metal on Metal noises.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Before I start this post, I want to give a quick note to those of you purchasing any items - for quality service head to expeditionexchange.com - I bought a bunch of stuff from them, didn't work 'just' right, went back and they helped me (free of charge) diagnose the problem. Great group of people over there!

But, unfortunantly I have another problem with old-red.

Right now when I am going very slow, cruising with barely and pressure on the accellerator, or moving with no gas at all there is a noise which sounds like a piece of metal rolling around in the transmission. When I'm in 3rd and 4th gear and give it gas, there is a definite clunk once I start to acellerate. I can feel the metal hitting around through the gas pedal. I'm not quite sure what this is or where I should start looking to (cheeply) get rid of this type of problem. About a week ago the car started vibrating when I was at freeway speed and let off the gas, so I replaced the transmission fluid. It fixed the vibration but not the metal rolling around problem.

Also, the second issue I have is just a metal rubbing metal noise, that usually occurs when the steering wheel is turned. (Not during turning). Not sure what might cause this.

It's a 1998 D1 with 117k miles.

Finally, anyone have a dedicated solution to the right rear brake squeaking like mad? Holy crap I feel like i'm going to be pulled over when I stop my car. All rotors+pads+lines were replaced - and plenty of anti-squeal goo on the back of the pads. But still they squeal like mad. (Rotors and drilled/slotted).

Thanks for the help. Wish I could help out around here more instead of keep asking question!!!

Rich

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
easy stuff first... rear brake could very well be some brake dust... try cleaning with some brake cleaner... if that doesnt' do it... change the pads.

Metal noises. First have you checked or changed the oil in the Transfer case? Have you greased or checked the U-Joints in the front drive shaft.

If none of the above help, put the disco on a lift or at least jack the whole thing up and spin the wheels and see if you can isolate the noise. Try removing the front driveshaft lock the CDL and see if you still have the noise.

Steering noises could just be a metal shaving on the shaft, but I would also check under the hood and make sure nothing is rubbing on the steering shaft going to the gear box.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey,

Actually, the rear brake issue is a bit more complex than that :)

Both the Rotor and Pad are brand new. You think I got a 'bad' pad? (If such a thing exists?)

As for the other solutions. I have access to a lift tommorow, i'll let you know.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad pad is a high possiblity, unless it was installed wrong....

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the Gear Box oil, forgot to check the U-Joints - Gear box oil change (Although needed) did not help at all in isolating the sound.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I just thought, at idle or slow crusing the little sounds could be parts of the CAT's rolling inside... the cluck could be a different issue with a U-Joint.

And Remember with brakes, different brakes will squeal when others do not... it is kind of an experiment to find the ones you like that don't squeal.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey,

Checked out the U Joints and everything seems secured and correctly in place. Put the truck on the lift again just to be sure and the noise definitly is coming from inside the transfer case. Went ahead and put in an order on a rebuilt 97 TC which I will attempt to replace next weekend.

Anything I should know when replacing this?

Anyone want a working but possibly about to fail transfer case from a 98 disco?

Thanks,

Rich

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd change out the transmisson output seal while you have the t-box out. It is cheap insurance to do so.

Joey is on the right track with the brake pads. Different brands use different types of material. Figuring out what works best just takes some time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635