Tread depth & differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much tread depth difference between tires is too much for the 2013 LR4 differential?

Per my latest post in the Continental TerrainContact A/T thread, I lost one to a sidewall cut this weekend. The others have 11K miles on them, or ~80% tread remaining. No one I've found in the DC area does any shaving of treads for this type of situation.

I have not done any measurements yet between the existing tread depth and the depth of a brand new tire. I'm just going off mileage as a rough starting point as I consider this. One of my indy mechanics thinks our diffs are super sensitive to differences, others not as much (within reason of course).

Thoughts?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 80% based off actual measurements, or just an estimate on expected tread life?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 80% based off actual measurements, or just an estimate on expected tread life?

As mentioned, it's not off measurements. This is a 60K tire so it's just a very rough estimate. Even if I had current vs new tread specs I would still need to know what our diffs will tolerate in terms of % differences. I wonder if that value is even available...

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, it's not off measurements. This is a 60K tire so it's just a very rough estimate. Even if I had current vs new tread specs I would still need to know what our diffs will tolerate in terms of % differences. I wonder if that value is even available...

I looked around in the factory service manual and didn't see anything. Saw something on tirerack....

Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Nissan GT-R when replacing less than four (4) tires, each tire continuing in service must have at least 6/32 inch (5 mm) of remaining tread depth.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked around in the factory service manual and didn't see anything. Saw something on tirerack....

Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Nissan GT-R when replacing less than four (4) tires, each tire continuing in service must have at least 6/32 inch (5 mm) of remaining tread depth.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

GTR.. 1/16" hot damn that's picky.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you rotate with a full-sized spare, you're incorporating a brand new tire in the mix at around 7,500 miles, so 11,000 isn't much more than that.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is all very helpful, thank you. Even though it's not Land Rover-specific it gives me some context. I also asked a couple of LR master techs who are in my local owner group and both of them quickly answered that I would be fine installing a new tire into the mix. Both of them were with me during this wheeling event and are familiar with my vehicle.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you rotate with a full-sized spare, you're incorporating a brand new tire in the mix at around 7,500 miles, so 11,000 isn't much more than that.

That was my general back-of-napkin reasoning as well, Ryan. Good point. I'm replacing the single tire this time. If I funk up my tranny, you guys will be the first to know...you'll certainly know before I confess to my wife.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The consensus I'm hearing is that I should not be concerned about this and adding a single new tire is fine in this scenario. I spoke with a knowledgeable tech at Discount Tires Direct where I bought these originally. He also runs a full-time 4WD vehicle and said that he would not be concerned about doing this on his own vehicle unless he had 25-30K miles of wear and tried to introduce a new tire into that mix.

I'm doin' it. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72