What to use to remove a scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone backed into my LR4 this weekend. She left a note saying she didn't think there was any damage, but actually the bumper has some scratches on it. The deepest one is definitely all the way through the paint, but it's pretty small and minor. Since I plan on taking my LR4 4-wheeling once the snow melts, and most like put many more scratches on my car, it would be silly to make a big deal over this. But it still stings as it's the first cosmetic damage to my 5 month old car. :(

In any case, any suggestions on what to use to clean it up a little bit? I was thinking of trying Meguiar's Scratch X. And then maybe buying a small bottle of touch up paint for the one scratch that is deeper. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Waltzonice,

For minor and even some deeper scratches (but not down to the primer) BMW makes a truly incredible scratch remover product (kit) that really is the most amazing product I've ever used in my life! It'll even remove scratches from plastic lenses or other surfaces. It's about 30 or 40 bucks. It's worth every penny and a Godsend. I've removed scratches that one would think impossible on my old BMWs and recently my LR4 – I highly recommend the product. You can get it at the BMW dealership.

Hope this helps!

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with scratch X. Excellent choice. For your deeper one, you can fill it in then wet sand . Start with 1000 grit then follow with, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and then 12000. Always make sure the sand paper is wet. I personally start with the 3k and if I need faster results I go lower. Detail Master # DM-9000 is a kit sold for modeling. I was big into modeling and this is the kit I used when doing paint finishing on 1/24 autos. By the time you get to the 12k the paint is smooth as glass and all sanding marks will be gone. Follow with scratch x and it will be perfect.

I just used this method on a friends VW R32 bumper. Couldn't tell there was any marks. I did this because he was turning it back in on a lease, the inspector didn't see a thing. A good way to try this method is to buy a cheap 1/18 metal model car at a toy store, and do it on there first.

macdaddy548

Reaction score
For the scratch that goes through the paint, consider dr.color chip. www.drcolorchip.com
The others will probably come out with scratch x or similar. I have used dr. color chip with some success.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dr. colorchip is the best for scratches down to the metal. It will cover the scratch but may still be noticable from different angles and depending on the light conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM