Who's running Cooper STT's???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd throw the tranny in there, but a good point. It has plenty of weak links...but we've also got to remember that those Camel rigs weren't stock, and many Discos and RRCs are built up as well. Those ailments get the treatment over time...it's one mod after another until it's finally ready for that kind of duty. Heck a lot of those underside electronics are covered up now by my RS Sliders! That must help a little bit...although the wiring in the wheel wells is still vulnerable.

Trynian

Reaction score
Don't confuse capability, durability and reliability. Lord knows the LR3's capability has been demonstrated beyond doubt, Similarly, I have found the LR3 to be highly reliable. However, it is not as durable as other vehicles with similar capabilities (utility, not comfort). I think that at least 90% of the LR3 is rock solid. The frame, body, engines, interior assembly and majority of the electronic systems are very durable. However, in my opinion the undercarriage electrical connectors, the transmission, the rear differential, the EPB, the amazingly pathetic suspension bushings, the steering assembly, the front CV's, the swaybar bushings, fuel pumps, air conditioning balancing system and a few other odds and ends are not up to the regular and repeated abuse that a Jeep or older style Land Cruisers (80 series or older) can take. This is not an issue of electronics, it's just economics. Land Rover did not set out to build the most durable car on the planet, they set out to design one of the most capable, comfortable, and versatile vehicles available, and they succeeded. But to take it to the next level in durability would have cost far more in production costs than could ever be justified by the LR3's target demographic market.

Would I travel to the ends of the earth in one? You bet. Would I drive one every day if I lived there? Not without a really good warranty.

I don't know, I have had Ford, GM, Jeeps older and newer and so far none of them were as dependable as my LR3 has been off-road. I have had friends with older Toyotas and they were always fixing them also.

I know you really like jeeps but I have had several, all well maintained and none held up over time very well without constant maintenance. They were all still good vehicles and my Jeeps did serve me well. Have I done a long safari in deepest Africa in any of them? No, but I think I would still lean towards the LR at this point.

So is it the most durable in the most difficult long drawn out scenario? Probably none of them are really accept a bare bones stripped down version of any of them. The only difference to me is what most often breaks and being prepaired for it.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone running the Cooper LTZ - 285/60/18, will I need to run sensor rod mods in normal ride height mode all the time to prevent rubbing or will I be ok? How does the access mode end up? I am going to get the sensor rod mods, but would prefer not to use them all of the time. Access mode is a must with my short wife and small kids, so access mode level is the only way I can get away with a larger tire ...and remain married.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Toyo Open Countrys 285/60-18's without rod mod for a couple of years and had
no issues and was able to use the full range of heights.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks- Now for the hardest part...shelling out the cash!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo