winter tires recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YEs it is one of their recommended winter tires.You can also look for nokian WR G2,it is all season tire with a SNOWFLAKE symbol as well and if you only have one set of rims,this would bi a tire to look at so you don't have to change them every season their wearing index is 500 A A .Pretty good for all season,also load index is 111 XL.Another company to look at is VREDESTEIN . EXCELLENT PRODUCTS.
How do you rate these compared with the Michelin Synchrones?

I have those now, but based on the tread their days are numbered...

vacwm

Reaction score
any ideas if i use the existing all seasons... i think they are the wranglers, for this winter... tires are almost brand new. so they might do the job for this winter.
what do you think?
understand i am more used to performance speed cars.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard these are no good, but I would use them for this winter only if they are brand new.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z SUV 255/55 R19 111W
Nokian/ZSUV.jpg

* XL (Extra Load)
* Stock Level: 8
* Summer tiresSummer tires
* UTQG: 400-A-A
* manufacturers part number (sku): T427709
* Speedindex W: the tire's speed capacity is up to 168 mph/270 km/h !
* We only supply the tire. If there is a rim shown in the picture, it is for display purposes only.

is this the one????

NOOO -- you chose Summer Tires (see, it says so above). Run the search again but choose winter.

You want the Nokian WRG2 SUV -- it's a true Four Seasons tire, can use it all year but it also has the Snowflake symbol. NOT THE ZSUV. Nokian's Hakkawhatever is a winter only tire, also in your size.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I compare Michelins and nokians.??Simply:

First company produces over priced,over advertised,made with marshmallow type of rubber tires that target rich clientele, who does not usually care , how often they change their tires due to much softer compound.sort if like a Mercedes ,it is a brand name to me. Second mentioned company designs tires specifically for Countries with four changing seasons,divided by two groups :summer and winter with some targeting all seasons,called ALL WEATHER tires.There is a big difference in performance, between all season and all weather rubber.This is a Nordic company that forces their manufacturers to improve thait products by 10% every year.Lots of awards in European countries.

As mustbeaudi pointed out ,Nokian Z would be their summer tire as well as H , I think.There is a lot more , but these will fit our car.As for winter,Nokian R SUV would be my choice,since has great reviews from all over the world.Since there is no proved real difference in winter performance between studless and studable I would choose stadless,since stadable are more noisy and provide linger braking distance due to lesser contact between pavement and tire itself.You may loose gain some fuel consumption because of their softer silica compound.

WR G2 are truly a all weather tires ,highly awarded and recognized within a huge drivers communitys,also with snowflake symbol.
Michelin synchrone wearing index is 360 i think whereas Nokian WR G2 has 500.Numbers speak for themselves.
Tires are always are personal preference choice and my are only a suggestions.There will always be a discussions regarding who was better tire,but by simply reading a few reviews on the vast internet you can always narrow the choices down to two best suitable for climate , terrain ,weather and performance.You trusted European company with your car ,why not give another old continent player a chance?Well... except one maybe...a one GY wrangler.:biggrin::hello:

WR G2 are truly a all weather

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Hakkawhatever R SUVs
If your new HPs took 100 feet with the traction control etc kicking in to bring your LR3 to a stop on a snowy road, these will do it in about 30. It all depends on how awesome you want your LR3 to be...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thorgal...that was a very slanted review...but it was your opinion and I respect it.

I had a '97 Montero before the LR3. It came with Michelin tires, which I got over 100,000 miles on. I replaced those with another set of Michelins, which I didn't replace until 208,000 miles were on the clock.

Nokians may be good too, but I don't dismiss the quality and longevity of Michelin tires. My personal experience tells me otherwise. I know that was an entirely different vehicle, but I've got about 40k on my Synchrones now, and fully expect to get 40k more.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point Houm, I got 70,000 with Michelins on a P38 RR, and 45000 on my LR3 tires with more to go as well....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99