X5 to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Has anyone else made this transition? I currently have a 2011 X5 35d (metallic black) with everything other than the added suspension and steering. I know the LR will lack a few options - ventilated seats, auto dimming side mirrors being two features I know I use nearly every day. Not a big deal in exchange for bike space inside and the ability to go wherever the hell I want without being afraid of damaging the pretty 20" inch wheels with way too low profile 355/55's.

I've looked at LR/RR the previous two purchases. After long weekend demo of a 2007 Range Rover Sport (in 2007), I instead purchased the then new MDX sport (a much nicer car at the time). Similar thing happened the last time - I learned of the diesel and instead with BMW. I love the car, just really want more space everyday for bikes. I have had no issues with the BMW.

We have a great LR dealer about 20 miles away that will be convenient if any issues, but I'm just curious if anyone has any regrets of getting rid of their BMW. I want my everyday car to be able to do it all. I drive 99% highway miles on a daily basis. Weekends obviously I would be inclined to take the LR places I wouldn't ordinary go to hit trailheads, light jeep road loops, etc.

Honestly, my biggest concern is how much gas this thing takes - not from a cost standpoint, but from my time at the pump to the general waste over 40,000 miles. Bothers me to read that owners here fill tank up from empty and can only add 18+ gallons to a 22 gallon tank? That doesn't sound right, and sounds like a lot of gas stops. I had also read somewhere Jag/Ford had a new engine inline for the LR4, but imagining we won't see that until 2015/6?

Any thoughts appreciated. Appointment Monday to take one out again. The 2010 when new was the last I've tested. Eyeing a Lux Ltd for that new interior, but the outside might be a bit much for me - horrible looking front end plastic grill insert and the hokey luxury badge would absolutely have to come off, but that's just me!

Thanks for any info, encouragement, but hopefully no regrets....

Sgrodz

Reaction score
Keep in mind if you go with the lux limited it also has the 20's....which are more low profile then the 19's on Lux. I was also considering a Lux Limited but choose a Lux for the same reasons you stated. Also, really liked the brown leather but the contrast of beige and ultimately black rubber mats seemed a bit much. good luck in your decision.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Thanks Sgrodz. I haven't exactly ruled out 20's on the LR just yet. My 20's are ridiculous staggered size in the back, either summer or winter ONLY tires with no choices for a bit burlier all-season. I've run the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's with the stock wheel and they do fine in snow at reasonable speed, Bridgestone Deulers for the summer. It would be great to have one set of tires to rotate throughout the year and 19's on the LR seem most versatile and possibly look even nicer than the 20's. The BMW on the other hand looks boring in 19's without extended wheel arches....and no real reason to have 18's or 19's on the BMW - certainly not meant for any off-road use....

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 X5 that my wife drives and a 2012 LR4 HSE. Sounds like you should stick with the BMW. The bike capacity is a good thing, but the BMW is a better daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I like the LR4, but the BMW is pretty comfy and drives well. It gets better gas mileage as well. Get a hitch rack for the bikes and save yourself the trade.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Thanks, JP. Great garage you there and I appreciate your thoughts. If I had my ways, I'd have a X5M (or a 2004 911) AND an LR4, but I'm not married yet and definitely only want one vehicle.

Driving the LR4 today I wasn't disenchanted much at all. Rolling my 29ner mountain bike in with only 2/3 of the seats down, that's worth sacrificing a little handling and loss of ventilated seats and might the selling point for me. I was amazed at how much space there was with such a huge bike upright and room for 3 more. BMW makes a fantastic rear bike hitch, but living in the mountains, weather and lots of road trips, my bikes at least need to stay inside. If I had kids in the back seat, different story. Plus, 20k of toys on the back of my car isn't something I've ever felt comfortable with. And it rains nearly every day.

Haven't made the decision just yet, but definitely getting closer. The Lux seats with adjustable bolsters at least for 20 minutes seemed just as comfy as the comfort seats upgrades in the BMW. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. Pleasantly surprised. Only remaining decision is can I live without adaptive headlights or not as most Lux's don't have that additional package outside of the Ltd.

Thanks again for the points....I think a big desire for daily space and occasional off-road flexibility are the deciding factors after driving today....

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can relate. . .I have a rack on my LR4, but the surfboards hardly ever end up there unless I have the kids along.

The LR4/3 does have a stunning amount of space in the back. It's probably the most I've seen in a SUV. Yukons have a lot of room, but you have to take out the seats and they are beasts to drive. The Ford Exploder has a lot of room, too, but I hated just about everything else on that vehicle.

If I had my druthers, I'd get the Toyota LandCruiser with the Troop Carrier set up (folding benches). Probably one of my favorites of all time that was never imported to the states (that i'm aware). That thing could haul a VW Beetle on the inside.

Panerai

Reaction score
X5 vs LR4

I have a 2008 X5 with all options and a2012 LR4 Lux. Both are great vehicles but are completely different. Nothing drives like a BMW, you can't compare how the 2 cars perform on the road. I too purchased the LR4 for exactly the same reason.... more space. The LR4 is great i drive it everyday and love it. The Lr4 is way more comfortable for everyday driving IMHO. But on long road trips i love the BMW. If I have to pick one, Hands down LR4.

Fm540i

Reaction score
I've owned and driven both. In my opinion the first gen X5 was the sturdiest of the succeeding generations. The same basic chassis that the current RR is built from. In terms of the LR 4 chassis vs the X5 I'd go with the LR4 for sheer strength. It will go anywhere! For road handling of course the X5 is better. For the road my 750i is better but it serves a different purpose. Love the 012 LR4. In many ways I like it more than the wife's big RR SC.

Holds a ton of stuff, is quiet, fast and comfortable. In a pinch holds 7 people pretty comfortably.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The additional positive comments are appreciated. And I am definitely jealous of those having a need to keep both a BMW and LR4 (especially the guy floating around here with an X5M on order). For my type of driving, and given the winter, off-road and daily transport of some sort of outdoor gear, and not to mention how roads here summer or winter take a beating on paint jobs and wheels, I think I'll be happier with the LR4. The Lux with adaptive features gives you "nearly" as many options as my BMW and seems to ride just as comfortably for me (seeing the other thread, I'm only 5'9, and short legs at that, so seats fit me fine). The BMW is great for long drives, but long drives also usually necessitate gear and my last (3,000 mile) road trip was limited to how much I could take. I'll sure miss the prominent powerful rear stance though of those 20" 335/35's (and not to mention all the curves- really a great looking car IMO).

zgaspen

Reaction score
I should also ask you guys who have commented - do your LR4's have 19" or 20" wheels? So far I have spent more time testing 20"s but am leaning to a Lux with 19"s. I am hoping the 19"s offer as firm as a ride. I think we're talking only a height difference of 50 to 55. My current 20's are 45, as I believe the older model 20"s on the RRS and LR4 (or 3) were in prior years, so 50 isn't really *that* low profile. Again, where I live and drive, the 19"s seem more practical and still have a very nice looking wheel, I could certainly get by with the LR's smaller 20"s. Seems to have good tire options in either size (where I am currently extremely limited in choice for summer/winter).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo