LR4 durability and workhorse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambonepali

Reaction score
Hey all thanx for yr help in my earlier thread,now that I have made up my mind for LR4 just a couple of queries:

How is the LR4 driving with 7 people and some luggage on the roof, will it be as good as driving alone?

With good maintenance will it prove itself for being a good workhorse for someone who needs to drive this vechile for attest 100 kms a day?

Durability issues have not been clearly answered in all the threads in the forum, is this coz' the LR4 is new and need some more time before jumping in to a conclusion or is it just a total consumers luck?

I have just checked here with my dealer in Nepal and he said that the vechile is made to be driven for long trips, off roads and mountain roads how trustable are the suspensions and how good and trustrable is the engine, iam planning to order a 2012 LR4 and can any of u tell me what engine has been used in it? As the dealer here told me that they have used a peugeot engine.

One last query, how are the LR vechiles rated in the world? Are they known for reliability, durability coz my time of keeping this vechile will be for maximum 5 years and I want these years to be peaceful without tension and fear that my vechile could break down while iam on a long trip.

Lastly I have always been a land cruiser man and have never been ditched by it I have had a very very good experience with my Land Cruiser and I want the same feeling from my LR4, I hope the new LR4 is better than my 10 years old Land Cruiser in every aspect.Thanx and hoping for your lots and lots of replys cheers.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I responded to your last post and do not have too much to add. LR has a terrible reputation here in the U.S., whether that is warranted or not is easily up for debate. I've had no issues, then again, I've only had it for 6000 miles. The LR I have has a Jag power plant that I couldn't be more happy with. I have no info on the Peugeot engine but I'm kind of surprised that it would be installed in an LR.

Congrats on your decision.

Marty

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said before, It sounds like you have had a Land Cruiser and have been very happy with it. The LR4 is NOT as reliable as the Land Cruiser! I would go for the new land Cruiser if I were you.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, do not listen to what the dealer/sales said...they just want your money, after you signed, they got paid, then you are going to deal with the services FOREVER..

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had 7 adults in my LR4 with all the luggage for a trip to Europe for 14 days strapped on the back. I can tell you that I would not have know a single person was in the car if it weren't for all of the talk. The air suspension really makes the LR4 feel the same fully loaded or not.

I only had one 50 mile trip with something on the roof of my LR4. It was the Land Rover box, and I could barely hear any noise from it at speeds up to 85mph on the interstate.

As stated earlier, the engine in the USA is the 5.0l Jaguar v8. Other varities may exist, like the oil burner, but we only get one engine here.

Land Rover has been beat up over the years for spotty reliability. I suspect that the LR4 will be better than any of it's predicessors but may still need to further develope before it is up with Land Cruiser reliability. As of late, Toyota has taken quite a beating here in teh States too, so I might be off with my opinion.

Good luck!

Rob

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, good sir, every single respondent to your initial query made it clear that LR4 would NOT be as reliable as a Toyota and in fact encouraged you NOT to pursue a LR4 purchase in Nepal.

What is it that you still don't understand?

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all thanx for yr help in my earlier thread,now that I have made up my mind for LR4 just a couple of queries:

How is the LR4 driving with 7 people and some luggage on the roof, will it be as good as driving alone?

With good maintenance will it prove itself for being a good workhorse for someone who needs to drive this vechile for attest 100 kms a day?

Durability issues have not been clearly answered in all the threads in the forum, is this coz' the LR4 is new and need some more time before jumping in to a conclusion or is it just a total consumers luck?

I have just checked here with my dealer in Nepal and he said that the vechile is made to be driven for long trips, off roads and mountain roads how trustable are the suspensions and how good and trustrable is the engine, iam planning to order a 2012 LR4 and can any of u tell me what engine has been used in it? As the dealer here told me that they have used a peugeot engine.

One last query, how are the LR vechiles rated in the world? Are they known for reliability, durability coz my time of keeping this vechile will be for maximum 5 years and I want these years to be peaceful without tension and fear that my vechile could break down while iam on a long trip.

Lastly I have always been a land cruiser man and have never been ditched by it I have had a very very good experience with my Land Cruiser and I want the same feeling from my LR4, I hope the new LR4 is better than my 10 years old Land Cruiser in every aspect.Thanx and hoping for your lots and lots of replys cheers.

This doesn't sound like a seriou inquiry to me. Sounds more like somebody is play-acting a role.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rambonepali,

It sounds like you decided to go with the LR4. It's definitely a great vehicle, but it's tough to say how reliable it will be in the conditions you describe. A few of us on the discussion board have had absolutely no trouble at all, while others have experienced a plethora of problems.

I love the LR4, it seats 7 adults comfortably, holds tons of cargo on the roof, and has an amazing on- and off-road drive. You will definitely not be disappointed with any of these features and capabilities. However, like many people are saying, don't take too much of what the dealer tells you to heart - while he may be accurate - there is still the fact that the LR4 may not have the reliability that you seek. I am only keeping my LR4 for two years and then I get rid of it, so it's always under warranty. Personally, I would not keep it past the warranty as I simply don't trust it enough. If I was going to buy an SUV and planned to keep it for more than a few years (past the warranty) then I would likely get a Toyota Land Cruiser or the Lexus LX570 version (same thing as the Toyota Land Cruiser).

I know this is a tough decision for you, especially since you likely do not have many dealerships in Nepal, but I wish you the best of luck!!!

-David

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned several Landcruisers (FJ40, FJ62 & FJ70) and they were all very reliable. I had the 2F engine, 3F engine and 1FZ 6 cylinder in-line engines which lasted +200K Kms.

I took these vehicles to jungles, deserts, mountains, beaches and had a blast. So I was a landcruiser man myself, until we were relocated to Panama and I got my first Land Rover Discovery (after going to the Toyota Dealer and looking at the Fortuner, Prado, 4Runner and Landcruiser VX).

So far so good. I'm loving my Discovery 4 (Diesel engine) and it offers an incredible balance between luxury and off-road capabilities (haven't tested beyond sand and some ruts/rocks). It does a great job at hauling my bike on a trailer or carrier (can't notice the weight). The pneumatic suspension levels the truck (my friend's FJCruiser drops the rear when carrying the bike).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635