LR3 audio inquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp2112

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just purchased a well kept 2006 LR3.
I wanted to solicit this group to see if anyone has a very clean way of incorporating a way of streaming audio either with Bluetooth or some way to operate an mp3(iPod touch) with the stock audio controls, steering wheel controls included.
Thanks for any help!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the LR3!

I can address the BT part of the question. We discussed this a few months ago in the LR4 section. The Kinivo BTC450 device has been working very well for me. See my mini-review here:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=149247&postcount=8

Caveat: This solution works well in my '11 LR4 because that model has an AUX port and a 12V power port next to each other on the back of the center console (serving the 2nd row passengers). I'm not familiar with the LR3's setup in this regard. An AUX port somewhere on the vehicle is required for this to work. The device has a controller button about the size of the ignition button on the LR4 and mine is mounted just below the ignition button and blends into the dash perfectly. Note: This set up does not utilize the dash/steering wheel controls, except for adjusting volume. However, the controller button is very intuitive and you quickly learn to fiddle with it w/o even looking down.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation of that Bluetooth device..

Do you have any shots of how you installed the microphone/controller? How is the audio quality to talk?

My 06 LR3 has the aux input and 12V power port in the same place.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any shots of how you installed the microphone/controller? How is the audio quality to talk?

My 06 LR3 has the aux input and 12V power port in the same place.

If that's the case then you are good to go as far as power and connectivity to the LR3's audio system. The Kinivo comes with at least 3' of very thin cabling between the power plug/audio plug and the dash-installed controller. It was easy to use a credit card to push this section of wire into seams around the lower dash and along the driver's side of the center console to get to the back ports. You might be able to use double-sided tape at intervals along the wire if you really wanted it to stay put but I have had no problem with the friction fit I described.

There are only a few minor cons with this installation. You won't be able to lower the cover on the rear ports to hide the plugs. If you have small kids or frequent passengers in the back, it could be kicked loose even though it is tidy when plugged in. You also lose the use of that center console rear power port, although it does provide a USB passthrough so a rear passenger could still charge a device that way.

The installation of the mic/controller was literally a peel and stick affair. Being a bit OCD I probably spent a full 3 minutes instead of a more reasonable 10 seconds deciding where to attach it. :stupid: I put it close enough to the Start/Run button so that I could easily get to it by feel, but not so close that I would be trying to start the LR via the BT controller. See photo.

Audio quality is indistinguishable from the onboard telephone BT and on par with high quality built-in BT systems I've had in other vehicles. I did several side-by-side comparisons and no one could tell any difference in my voice during calls. Of course the other party's voice comes out over the LR's speakers. Obviously audio quality is influenced by where the mic/controller is located. BT streaming of music from my iPhone 5 is also excellent and the primary reason I purchased the Kinivo.

Ergonomics: The LR's audio system needs to be on the AUX setting in order for the Kinivo to work. As mentioned, you can't control your phone calls or music from the dash or steering wheel controls except for volume. You lose the caller's info popping up on your display. Once I get a Spotify playlist going, it is super easy to advance or rewind a track with small buttons on the top rim of the controller and I can do this by touch while driving. Pressing the large central button controls the start/stop of music and can also invoke Siri or put the device in pairing mode depending on the number of taps.

Only issue: Every so often I have found that a call won't go out (or be able to be picked up) by the Kinivo. I have not identified the factors that cause this and it is very uncommon. It may be user error. I can usually tap the central button randomly to get it to activate, or select the device from the Audio Sources button that appears on the iPhone during calls. Most of the time it works perfectly.

At $35 from Amazon, it is the one single mod that I will probably get the most use from and the most bang for the buck. Give it a shot! --Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 63

Tripp2112

Reaction score
Hey thank you for the input. I will look into this device. My LR3 does have the same power port and aux jack in rear of console(odd location).
Thanks

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought it was an odd location for the AUX port also. But now I see that it is perfect at least for this application. If the AUX port was on the face of the head unit or somewhere else in the center stack, it would make for exposed wires. Now I can hide all but an inch or so of the wire that goes from the mic/controller to the closest seam...

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had already ordered the item from Amazon before you replied..

Thanks for the picture!!

Tripp2112

Reaction score
I ordered one as well. Delivering tomorrow. Will let you know how it works after I get it set up over the weekend.
Thanks again!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered one as well. Delivering tomorrow. Will let you know how it works after I get it set up over the weekend.
Thanks again!

Guys, make sure you set aside a solid uninterrupted TEN MINUTES for this mod! It is literally a 1-beer job at most, although you may enjoy a few more as you sit in your LR and dig the new functionality. :thrasher:

Looking forward to your impressions!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72