"Cruise Control Not Available"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get this randomly when on highway trips? I have not been able to reliably recreate this but it is happening more often to me on my '05 HSE. At this point, I get it at least once a road trip.

It usually beeps and pops up when I am in cruise control and I either 1) hit the brake, 2) manually turn off cruise control or 3) switch to command shift or some mode where CC is not allowed.

The thing is, once this error condition notice pops up, it won't go away, and the car will not let me use cruise control. I have to pull off the side of the road, turn off the car, wait 30 seconds and then start up again. It is very annoying.

It seems to be a tough one to report to my dealer because if I can't reproduce, they won't be able to, and then they'll just report "cruise control functioning normally," and will assume it is driver error.

Be nice if someone who has access to the TSB data base could look this up and see if this is a known issue. ;)

-todd

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd- I have had this happen about 3 times. You are right, it usually happens when I am doing alot of messing with the cruise, turning it on and off frequently due to driving conditions or downshifting descending a hill to control speed while the cruise is on. Like you, the cruise won't work again until the computer reboots after being shut down. I've had to wait longer than 30 seconds for that to happen. Also, sometimes my "off button" won't work and I have t o tap the brake to disengage it. I plan to ask my dealer next time I need to go in for something else. Let me know if you find this is a TSB issue or just a LR quirk.

Last edited:

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a Volvo I owned, I got this message when the vacuum pump was breaking down. It apparently couldn't keep up the pressure for certain aspects of the "cruise control" controls.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar issues with my '05 HSE. After long periods of not using the cruise control, the computer "forgets" that it's there. If I go a couple of months without using it, the cruise control wont turn on. Pull off the road, turn off the the key and restart and it works again every time. After this experience, I make it a point to use every electronic gizmo at least once a month. Once, the Bluetooth stopped working. To fix that, I had to disconnect the battery. Worked fine after that. I've come to believe the computer in my LR3 is named HAL and to keep him on his best behavior, every now and then I pull into Toyota dealership and park so that HE can see me talking to a salesperson.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had this happen. brought into the dealer. there was a post where someone said the contacts needed to be cleaned. however, if my case, i think the dealer replaced some part. it fixed the random "cruise not permitted" issue. but, my "off" button periodically still does not work. i have chalked it up to the same gremlin that randomly possesses my window controls.

tonysheeba

Reaction score
in my knoweledge air bag rotory coupler(spiral cable) it is connected to cruise switch and wiring may be open circuit,if u go to dealer they will check with IDS and trays fault in engine system,fault may chance( speed control switch cicuit.)
[email protected]

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, just picked my car up and was told that there was a SW Update available to address this problem. I haven't driven it long enough to know if it worked, but it was apparently a known issue.

Interesting piece of information I found out, though, was that software updates are NOT covered by the LR extended warranty. I found this odd and asked some pointed questions...even if a system on my truck is not operational and it will be fixed by a SW update, this will not be covered because there is not a defective component. So, in my case I was charged 1/2 hour labor (not bad, and he reduced it from an hour) to update the SW.

My service manager told me that even if the truck had a SW issue the prevented it from starting, I would still have to pay for the SW update as a physical module has not failed.

I found this interesting since I was led to believe that the LR extended warranty was pretty much an extension of the factory bumper to bumper, minus wear items (like leather, carpet, trim, etc.).

Anyway, I had "outdated SW" and they updated it.

Maybe it is worth checking that all of your SW is up to date before you go out of warranty. ?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the dumbest thing I've heard this week.
"it's not broken, it just doesn't work" and
"the software update that costs us virtually nothing will cost you"
Thanks for the tip.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounded pretty cheap and stupid to me too. If a system is failing, fix it. That's why people buy the f*&king warranty!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo