iPod/iPhone Solution & Satellite radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radionightster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been googling and searching all the Land Rover forums I can find to find a solution for adding satellite radio and ipod/iphone connectivity to my LR3.

The best option I can find is to add the audio connectivity system to allow direction connection of the iPod/iPhone, and then wire the satellite radio into the other auxiliary input on the box that comes with the audio connectivity system. (I am aware of the aux input on the back of the console, but I want something slightly more integrated and more stealth.)

Is anyone aware of a more simple way to do this?

Thank you
Radionightster

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is just to get a standalone satellite radio receiver and wire it into the AUX input with some form of toggle... so the wiring will be hidden. If you don't want to do it, any custom installer should be able to. The only true 'integrated' solution is to buy a new LR3 with the Sirius satellite option. Sorry.

And you are already aware of the very limited iPod integration solution Land Rover sells.... which also just wires into the AUX line.

phx5o

Reaction score
I'm using the AUX for my XM portable. It woks good but the only thing, the volume is lower than the radio or CD.

05 LR3

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my solution... And it has great volume level too:

- I removed the aux. input box in the back of the console and moved it to the center of the console, so the when you open the door to the aux input, there's only a hole where the aux plug used to be.

- Then I bought a A/B Selector switch which has my XM as the A input, and my iPod as the B input. (See Ref. 1)

- After that I hooked up a Signal/Volume Booster, so amp the signal from XM and the iPod. (See Ref. 2)

However I found that at times I got some feedback squeals, so I also added a group loop isolator to remove that static noise ( See ref. 3)

1) This is the way the A/B switch works. When it has 12v+ to it, input A is selected. When the switch is off, then input B is selected. It's a great little unit, and fits inside the center console. I bought a simple toggle switch from RadioShack and that's what I used to turn it on and off.
-Picture of it
-Link to Buy $26

2) The signal/volume booster is crucial. This is actually the way the Harmon Kardon Speakers were meant to bump.
-Picture of Booster
-Link to Buy $33.50

3) Here's the whine/alternator feedback remover if you need it. This can also be bought from Best Buy or any car electronics place.
Any of These Noise Filters Work. I got mine from Radio Shack

4) For the XM input, I used a regular 3.5mm to 2 RCA.
-Looks like This

5) For the iPod, I wanted a cable that charged it as well. So this is what I used.
-Picture of iPod Cable
-Link to Buy or this one Link to Buy

-And also one of these:
-Link to Buy

In my opinion this was the way to go, and it works and sounds amazing. I can write in detail how to do it as well if needed. I found a 12v+ connected to the aux. input box, that was a purple wire where I tapped all my 12v+ into. Then my 12v- all tapped into a black wire that also connected to the aux. input box in the console. If you have a multimeter, that helps as well to figure all that out too.

Here Are a Few Pics:
IMG_0650.JPG

-Notice the 2 switches on the bottom left behind the parking brake. The top switch is for my aux input A/B. The 2nd is to turn my radar detector on and off. Notice the iPod connector on my iPod that runs under the console to the A/B switch inside the console.

XM Portion:
IMG_0653.JPG

-This is how I mounted my XM radio. I took the whole plastic docking unit apart so only the connector was visible. Took a roto-drill and cut a rectangle in the console and rubber pad so the unit's plug poked through. Screwed it in place.

Picture of Dock for XM:
IMG_0654.JPG

-Here's a pic of the actual opening I cut for the XM unit. Wasn't too difficult.

Wire wise this is how it works:
XM Input -----A------>
------ A/B Switch ---> Signal Amp ----> Ground Loop Iso. ----> Land Rover's Aux. Input​
iPod Input----B------>

Overall the whole thing was not that difficult, and I could gladly explain in more depth how to do it, or if you have any questions. This is not the only way to do it well, but this is the way which I did it to do it "professionally". Hope this helps and gives some of you all some ideas.

Last edited:

phx5o

Reaction score
Very nice, the volume thing is bad. I'll have to play around with it. How did you mount the antenna? I had it lying on the dash. But then put it on the rear roof ran it down the driver side.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my XM antenna from outside in. I put the antenna on the passenger side next to the roof rack. Then I ran the small black wire inside the rubber seal that runs on the roof to the windshield. I peeled it back ever so lightly, and ran the wire inside there.
IMG_0655.JPG

Then I ran it under the plastic pillar molding, behind the rubber seal for the passenger door.
IMG_0660.JPG

Then through the glove box, to the unit. The glove box opens by pressing the tabs on the side in, allowing access to behind. You can see the extra wiring for the antenna in the picture.
IMG_0663.JPG

And that's how I did it. Also, I've found it better to be on the passenger side, for less obstructions like trees.

Last edited:

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread but

angasreid, where did you get that fiber glass looking panels? They look great!

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stand the fake look of the wood dash. So I looked around on the web and came across edashkit.com. They have all sorts of colors and whatever, but I wanted just regular carbon fiber look to get rid of the gross plastic grey look.

Here's a link for it. I got just the basic kit, with real carbon fiber. Looks pretty good. Better than the other options available I feel.
http://www.edashkit.com/store/c/839-Interior.html

All the fiber-glass panels have adhesive on the back and cover everything up pretty well. I didn't put some of them on, just because I didn't feel as if I needed carbon fiber in my steering wheel around the horn buttons, and what-not. Check it out.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angasreid, where did you stash all these components you bought to make this work? Did you just put them in your center console? I have the cooler box so I wouldnt' want to go that approach. You've had the console apart to remove the mini-jack, no chance you could stuff all those pieces in the space inside the center console where nobody would see it? What about splitting the aux jack so you retain the factory location for that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635