2015 LR4 GPS based construction alerts possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently installed the updated sat nav maps software at the LR dealer via the USB port to the 2020 version since the one in the vehicle was OEM from the date of purchase. Lots of road updates as you can imagine. So if this is just a software update and the maps are (I presume) loaded to a hard drive based within the head unit somewhere, how can it be giving me active construction updates? In the screenshot of the nav you'll see the green icon with two cars in it. When my route contains construction zones it turns to yellow and alerts me to where they are located. It doesn't re-route me or provide me with active traffic/congestion alerts (that I am aware of yet) but if this is just a hard drive based system, is it connecting to my phone's bluetooth (which I know it does in order to play my music) and receiving these alerts through my phone via one of the iPhone apps? I don't use Waze, I don't have any of the maps on my phone running when it's connected via bluetooth, I don't have any InControl Apps...I don't get it.

I'm taking a long multi-state road trip later this week so I'll pay more attention to it but I'm curious how it knows? I'm sure someone here can enlighten me on this! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 40

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traffic alerts are broadcast over FM. This isn't going to be anywhere near as real-time as Waze, but at least its something.

I'm not concerned about traffic alerts. I can get that a million ways including directly on my phone. I'm wondering how the LR system knows of construction alerts. If it is simply an archaic software loaded GPS system, I don't know how that is possible. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about traffic alerts. I can get that a million ways including directly on my phone. I'm wondering how the LR system knows of construction alerts. If it is simply an archaic software loaded GPS system, I don't know how that is possible. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

From the article I linked: "The message contains a list of up to 2048 event phrases defined by 11 binary bits (of which 1402 were in use as of 2007) that can be translated by the receiver into the user's language. Some phrases describe individual situations such as a crash, while others cover combinations of events such as construction causing long delays."

In other words, the existence of a construction zone is a type of traffic alert that is sent over TMC to your LR4's receiver.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the article I linked: "The message contains a list of up to 2048 event phrases defined by 11 binary bits (of which 1402 were in use as of 2007) that can be translated by the receiver into the user's language. Some phrases describe individual situations such as a crash, while others cover combinations of events such as construction causing long delays."

In other words, the existence of a construction zone is a type of traffic alert that is sent over TMC to your LR4's receiver.
Ahhhh, got it now. I thought you were implying I could just go to my FM and find traffic alerts. Thanks!

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the updated map file be ‘ripped’ to a thumb drive and shared?
Well, I managed to copy it to an SD card. I'm assuming it will work but I don't know for certain. It's about 29GB of info and I didn't have any thumb drives with that capacity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72