Something is stuck behind my ash tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get behind the ash tray? I have something stuck back there and the tray doesn't push all the way in. I can move the stuck piece around but it is too big to slide out. Hope I don't need to remove the whole dash....

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spring for the tray has probably failed. I don't remember it being too difficult to remove the ash tray assembly. You have to remove th trim panel around it first. I don't remember for sure if you have to remove the top trim piece on the center consol or not. But at either rate it is just 1 screw on each side and then it will pull straight out.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does the trim panel just pop off or do I need to remove part of the center console?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab low on the left and right sides Then pull. (by the ash tray) It clips on the bottom and the top is kinda hooked in above the vents.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common failure, had to have mine replaced. The replacement assembly includes the ashtray, lighter, power socket. Price was ~$35

I think it is more complicated than posted above. Shifter, center console, all needed to come out too. There is a DIY with pics on disco3.co.uk

ashtray.jpg

Last edited:

Jerbo

Reaction score
Simple Fix

I had the same problem where the spring that allows the ashtray to glide open and close broke and was stuck behind the ashtray.

Rather than rip the dash off and replace the entire component or take it to the stealership I drilled a hole in the housing and yanked the spring out with needle nose pliers.

See pic of hole and spring.

The ashtray is now simple to open and close (win) and didn't cost me a penny (win).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 60
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads