1st Suspension Fault & Other msgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

Well, took the kids camping this weekend. Unfortunately, on a 4x4 trail, I started getting the "Vehicle Raising Slowly" messages. Worse, those were followed up by "System Cooling. Height will change when system cools" or something like that. . . Finally, the trip concluded with the "Suspension Fault" and the tippy looking icon in the dash. . .

After restarting, the error went away. I was hoping all you early adopters worked out all these issues for me. I have an SALAG vin, so I was hoping I would avoid the suspension problems. It does not appear to be so.

On the flip side, what a great truck to take camping! I did get 18mpg on the way there, almost all highway at about 75mph. (Nice tailwind however.)

I

Insider

The inference from your note is the Electronic Air Suspension compressor triggered a pre-set heat limit - this is a fail-safe device, not a fault.
Perhaps you were 'playing/experimenting' with EAS and caused it to trigger?

S

schafari

"Playing?" Well, yes. I had the truck off-road, on a rutted two track. I raised it up to off-road height. I then had to duck under a low hanging branch. I switched it to access height. After clearing the branch, I switched it back to off-road height. It raised slowly. Coming back down the same trail, I did this again about one hour later. Lower to access, and tried to get it back up to off-road.

It just said vehicle raising slowly, which led to system cooling, which then led to suspension fault.

I had my wife, three year old, and two year old with me.

Are you not supposed to take this Land Rover off road and use the off-road height?

I

Insider

You are of course supposed to take this machine off-road.
The systems and warning symbols appeared to be suggesting the EAS compressor was reaching a set Max temperature or the compressor resevoir was low. Obviously your subsequent note does not suggest you prompted this so it should be tested to insure operation is to specification.

S

schafari

Bummer. Driving to work today, got my second suspension fault. From cold start this morning, got the "vehicle raising slowly" msg. Then for no reason, the suspension fault came on five miles into the drive. Suburban perfectly paved streets, with no one touching the suspension, or any settings at all.

GGGrrrrr. This will be my second trip to the dealer with only 1,100 miles on the new vehicle.

In doing some searching, I did notice one possible common trend in the suspension fault posts. I just installed the towing package electronics a few days ago. I have driven many miles after installing it; however, many/most of the posts with suspension faults, also showed the towing wiring installed, or just installed.

For anyone that has recently gotten the suspension fault diagnosed at the dealer, what is the latest thinking on why it is failing?

A

aah78

schafari said:
For anyone that has recently gotten the suspension fault diagnosed at the dealer, what is the latest thinking on why it is failing?
ask them to check the master cylinder.

i had the "Suspension Fault" go on a couple of months ago while i was 'playing' (read using it regularly) with the Electronic Air Suspension.

the service people couldn't find any fault codes but the problem persisted so they finally figured out that the master cylinder was failing and replaced it.

i've been more careful using the Off-Road/Access modes nowadays - generally leave it in Normal mode and the system has been OK so far.
with the snow storm, over the weekend in NYC, i've used the Off-Road height on a regular basis over the past couple of days. lets see what happens.

these Electronics are taking over our lives thesedays - where's my carburettor!!!! :(

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari said:
Well, took the kids camping this weekend. Unfortunately, on a 4x4 trail, I started getting the "Vehicle Raising Slowly" messages. Worse, those were followed up by "System Cooling. Height will change when system cools" or something like that. . . Finally, the trip concluded with the "Suspension Fault" and the tippy looking icon in the dash. . .

After restarting, the error went away. I was hoping all you early adopters worked out all these issues for me. I have an SALAG vin, so I was hoping I would avoid the suspension problems. It does not appear to be so.

On the flip side, what a great truck to take camping! I did get 18mpg on the way there, almost all highway at about 75mph. (Nice tailwind however.)
Hi Schafari

I have had almost Identical issues with my SALAG vin build . This last time my dealer ran diagnostic and found no retained faults, and said they are info msg's. If you get a RED "rockin Rover" that, will trigger a fault code.

What I have found is that I can go from access to Norm, then from Norm to Off road with no problem but Access to Off road I get the the same as you!! and I do NOT have the tow electrics....yet. HTH Let us know what Houston says please.

Cheers
John the displaced Texan in Ohio

R

roverdawg

Ditto. Have had multiple suspension faults, close to a hundred of 'em by now. They are either unable to fix them OR they've fixed them, and the subsequent faults are triggered by new issues. So far, replaced the compressor, and on another visit they repaired a loose connector. Still get them. Interestingly, we've had some dry weather here lately and with it, the faults seem to have been noticeably reduced. Going in again soon for the 4th attempt to correct. Also got another "extended mode- reset when clear of object" fault yesterday despite the fact that I was level on a city street. Will let you know if they can diagnosis...

btw I've also noticed that I can often trigger a fault by going from Access to Off-road and not so much from Normal/Access, Normal/Offroad.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverdawg, oods are they'll need to experiment with replacing some wiring looms. Your behavior is far too random.

R

roverdawg

grommet said:
roverdawg, oods are they'll need to experiment with replacing some wiring looms. Your behavior is far too random.

Grommet,

MY behavior or the LR3? Both, I suppose!

I suspect you're right about the wiring looms. Interesting, in that it's been somewhat dry and the faults have diminished. Here's an observation. If it's pouring down rain, I can trigger a fault easily. If it's dry, and I go through a tremendous puddle (thoroughly soaking the underbody with water and mud) not quite so easy to get a fault. Could it be water from ABOVE soaking a loom someplace? I know about the clogged drain tube/A pillar issue but to date haven't seen it associated with a suspension problem?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635