'04 Range Rover Fuel Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

acm741

We have a 2004 Range Rover. After driving the vehicle for any length of time, when we park it in our garage, there is a strong smell of evaporated fuel (or something very similar) in the air. After about five minutes it fills the garage. If we leave the garage doors open it dissipates. It's also detectable when the car is parked outside, but only right after getting out of the vehicle. It's bad enought that when I leave for work in the morning I can still smell it, and I left a jacket in the garage for a week by mistake and it reeked of fuel.

This is constant, i.e., it doesn't only happen some of the time. There is no leakage of fluids to the floor, which leads me to believe it's either a leak that is being burned off on the exhaust headers or something to do with the evaporation recapture system (or whatever it's called). It appears to come from the front of the vehicle, but I'm not 100% sure on this. No fault lights or other noticable problems with the engine.

The dealership's service dept has said they couldn't find the problem which in my experience with them actually means "we don't want to spend the time and money to fix it since it's under warranty".

Any help would be very much appreciated!

E

ENick

I have an 05 with no similar smells, but can say that even a drop or two of raw fuel would fill up a closed garage. A leak somewhere from the tank to the motor makes the most sense (did the geniuses at the stealership change a fuel filter recently?) - if it was burning off, it would probably not smell so strongly. It could also be a blow-by issue, but you would likely experience other engine problems as a side-effect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72