05 LR3 transmission trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. The link below is to a number of files related to the brake light switch and how the brake light circuits are tied not only the bulbs but to the Hill Decent Control, (HDC), the ABS, and then the tranny as well as the cruise control - it never ends.

I see the Stop Light Circuit file near the bottom has over 2200 views with over seven thousand on one of the other files within the link.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
I’ve got a very slight California stop judder and I’m hoping I can nip it with just seals, fluid, and filter. Usually the seals begin to fail and that later impacts the solenoids (or so I’ve read). So premeptively replacing seals could save solenoids. My parts are arriving this week and it’s on the docket for this month…
Did this maintenance item recently, and while it’s only gotten a few hundred miles post repair, the transmission does feel improved during stop-and-go driving. The 4 tubular valve body seals on mine had gotten moderately brittle and shrank 1mm. They probably were not sealing very well any longer.

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
I did not, is there a procedure for this or is it a job that requires an iid tool?
Sorry for late reply, hope you fixed your issue. It does need a scan tool to reset the adaptations, I believe the Autel bluetooth unt can erform the procedure, it does not have to be the IID tool if you do not have it.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 LR3 with the 4.4. 130k miles.

Has anybody got any advice? I really am at a loss on where to go from here, my leading theory now is some problem from the water damage from the passenger side sunroof drain, but I don’t know if the tcm is close to that area or not.

Thanks for any help
I noted the comment re the Transmission Control Module. Per the jpg's it is located on the firewall behind the engine starting battery. You will note the 3M black electrical tape I have wrapped around the two rubber cable guides. This is to reduce water ingress onto what is effectively a near wide open to the wet, circuit board that relates to the operation of the transmission and transfer case.
The third jpg is upside down so it can be read but not the rubber cable guides sit directly on top of the coloured connectors.

Attachments

• LR3 Transmission Module Case.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module Case.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 111
  • LR3 Transmission Module Cover.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module Cover.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 113
  • LR3 Transmission Module.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
My '05 LR3 HSE has a transmission fault and a whirring sound that increases with RPM. It only has 100km on it and it was fine before it sat for 3 months. Any ideas?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be almost anything that spins. Bearings, diffs, driveshaft. You likely need to get a pair of Chassis Ears on it so you can pinpoint the source. Bearings are fairly easy to test yourself, too.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
I noted the comment re the Transmission Control Module. Per the jpg's it is located on the firewall behind the engine starting battery. You will note the 3M black electrical tape I have wrapped around the two rubber cable guides. This is to reduce water ingress onto what is effectively a near wide open to the wet, circuit board that relates to the operation of the transmission and transfer case.
The third jpg is upside down so it can be read but not the rubber cable guides sit directly on top of the coloured connectors.
The Transmission Control Module is located in the transmission, it’s part of the valve body mechatronix. The box behind the battery is the Transfer Case Control Module.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut