06 LR3 Control Arms and Tie Rods @ 57K?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northwind

Reaction score
57k on my 06 LR3, had an oil change and they garage told me i needed to replace both Control Arms and both Tie Rods, total cost $1,940!!. I am not a mechanic but the car seems to run fine, no rattling or clunking. Is this a typical service for an LR3 with only 57k? also, anyone have this done and is the price inline or are these guys trying to rip me off.
thanks

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both lower control arms replaced recently on my 07 LR3 @ 79K due to a rear bushing which was leaking fluid. By the time you mess around with pushing out the old bush and replacing it you're better off replacing the control arm. I got my indie shop to put reconditioned ones on at $250 each side. They did both sides as I figured the other side would go and I'd be looking at a wheel alignment all over again. Also had a worn front wheel hub replaced. Out the door at around $1300. So you may want them to give you a break down on costs. Some folks replace the LR3 control arms with RR Sport which are a direct fit, supposedly a little tougher and a little more expensive. Find a garage you can trust, mine saved me $200 in parts by switching to recon genuine parts with the same warranty 1yr 12K as new. Don't be afraid to ask where they can save some money.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common maintenance issue. Sounds like your price is pretty high, though. It's still going to be $1,200-$1,400.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price is high and I wouldn't bother doing it until you notice the clunking over bumps and potholes etc...unless they can give you a plausible reason it must be done now.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second opinion doesn't hurt. I replaced both control arms although only one side was in immediate need. I weighed the balance of spending $350 now given the likely requirement of them failing on the "good" side and having to spend another $100 odd for another wheel alignment. Given my mileage was 80K my decision may not have been the same had I your mileage. My wheel bearing was definitely toast on one side and I will probably get the other side done in due course as a preventative to being stranded on a dark and rainy night (doesn't it always seem to be that way!) when the other side fails. It's a couple of hundred dollars and no wheel alignment. Probably do it myself as I already got the part online. If you're risk averse enough and flush with funds you can of course go around throwing new parts all over the car, as with any other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4