06 LR3 trailer hitch electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northwind

Reaction score
prior to buying the vehicle the previous owner installed a UHaul hitch. went to rent a trailer and naturally their was no juice at the plug in. i took it to the shop i service my vehicle and they told me it was typical for Uhaul to install and not properly wire the lights. they will only replace with a LR wiring kit, cost is $350. so do i bite and let them do it or is their an alternate solution....? certainly hate to spend that kind of money to fix something that was never installed properly in the first place. thanks

msd401

Reaction score
Trailer wiring is an easy self install, less than 30 mins. Atlantic British(www.roverparts.com) makes an aftermarket kit that is just as good as the LR one and has a youtube install video.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Uhaul hitch on one of these. Have a pic? How does it mount?

northwind

Reaction score
thanks for the insight on Atlantic British i might just go that route. The UHaul hitch is right under the bumper. sorry i dont have a pic of it. its actually worked quite nice for hauling the bikes and i also used it for a trailer where i didnt hook up the lights.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Link re trailer hitch wiring.

The link below re the trailer hitch wiring may be helpful.

As others have said, use the official wiring hookup. It sounds as if you are new to the 3 and have yet to experience the odd things that occur when almost correct stuff is added.

In the case of the 3, the computers look at the tail light circuits more than one might like and often times come to the wrong conclusions -ie: does not recognize the trailer but thinks it is a tranny problem and behaves accordingly.

http://bit.ly/13Dysjp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99