15,000 mile oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't decided yet. I just got the truck on the 3rd of July and already have about 4700 miles on it. Almost all of it has been interstate/Hwy travel, so I might be inclined to wait that long.

From what I understand the motor monitors the longevity of the oil on the fly and will prompt you to get it changed early if it deems necessary.

In reality, I will not make it to 15,000 miles in 12 months. Last year I didn't put more than 6,000 miles on the family hauler. This year we had to large vacations planned and I may take it to the Land Rover National Rally in Moab, so it might actually get close to 10,000 miles this year. I don't use it for many short trips; I walk to work most days and ride my bike for other errands.

Rob

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I don't care what they say I change at 3k miles. Peace of mind. Cheaper when you do it your self

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 2011, LR has gone back to 7500 mi. oil change intervals. I guess even LR realized that 15,000 was too long...

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Interesting that they would change the interval that soon? I will have to contact my dealer and see if they are going to make that change retro-active for the 2010 LR vehicles. Nothing should have changed engine or oil wise, so I wonder if it was brought about by other issues.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rob

holygrail

Reaction score
Never go until you reach 15,000...that's crazy!!

Hi,

I haven't decided yet. I just got the truck on the 3rd of July and already have about 4700 miles on it. Almost all of it has been interstate/Hwy travel, so I might be inclined to wait that long.

From what I understand the motor monitors the longevity of the oil on the fly and will prompt you to get it changed early if it deems necessary.

In reality, I will not make it to 15,000 miles in 12 months. Last year I didn't put more than 6,000 miles on the family hauler. This year we had to large vacations planned and I may take it to the Land Rover National Rally in Moab, so it might actually get close to 10,000 miles this year. I don't use it for many short trips; I walk to work most days and ride my bike for other errands.

Rob

Rob,

My BMW also says every 15,000 miles. But even my service advisor tells me that if it was his BMW, he'd change it half point. That's what I've been doing for the past 45,000 miles. Instead of only three oil changes, I've done six. I'm sure my car appreciates it more and in return would probably get longevity.

Rule of thumb: On a normal car, it was always an unwritten rule to get the oil changed every 3,000 miles. Most car manuals actually say recommended milage for oil change is 5,000 miles. However, when you buy a brand new car, you have to break in the engine and transmission (nice and easy) for the first 1000 miles. That means no hard acceleration, no going over 80 mph, and try to utilize all 6 gears. Breaking in the engine creates metal filings inside the engine, therefore, every car buff knows to get the oil changed after the first 1,000 miles. After that it's every 3,000 miles.

On the BMW or Land Rover, it says 15,000 miles. So, you still need to break in the engine 1,000 miles. Nowadays and with today's technology, you can get by with 800 miles. I would DEFINITELY change the oil by 2,000 miles. After the first oil change, you should change it every 7,500 miles. There's no hurt in doing so, but there is more hurt in not doing so. There's a reason why Land Rover is decreasing the standard oil change mileage down to 7,500 miles. For a car that has very high maintenance to begin with, might as well be safer than sorry. The LR4 made it very easy to change the oil without any mess. Do it yourself, 15-30 minutes. Buy the oil pump, and get a good one that will last for years, and buy the oil filter from the dealership. I buy my oil from BMW since the U.S. Castrol oil or Mobile 1 has different consistancy from European Castrol or Mobile 1. They have the autobahn and we don't and that's the reason for different consistancy and tolerance even though the oil type/number is the same. You'll spend around $56-60 for the oil and $17 for the filter from Jaguar. Get the LR4 oil filter from Jaguar, b/c it is much cheaper (same filter...same engine). Or you can pay $200 at the dealership.

The prices are not exact...since every dealership charges different parts and labor. That's my two cents. Think smart and be safe...b/c it's an expensive car.

V/r,
Chris

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the LR4 require any special tool to replace/remove the oil filter? Also, where is it in the engine bay? Up top and easy to access or down below per typical?

hitman007

Reaction score
On my 2010 LR4 my dealer changed the filter at 7,500 and oil + filter at 15,000 which we just it this week. It uses 9 qts of synthetic. At least thats what I saw on the work order. My dealer does all oil changes free for the life of the warranty. The filter actually is not a standard oil filter. It is like a pool filter... a filtration cartridge inside a canister. It is on top of the engine under the shroud, not where you would expect it to be. There is a drain plug on the oil pan but the dealer tech doesn't use it. Land Rover put a ****** up top next to the filter and the tech plugs a suction hose on the ****** and sucks all the old oil out. It is a great system if you have the tools. Very easy.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I made a mistake. I was reading the LR2 section of the service book. The oil change interval for the LR4, Sport, and the full size RR are still 15,000 mi...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA