18”New Defender steelies on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

defender_verde

Reaction score
My LR4 has much stronger braking power (stock) than my V8 HSE LR3 (stock). Going to the V6 LR3 brakes, adding a bunch of overlanding kit is asking for issues IMO. If you do go that route buy really really good V6 rotors/pads/stainless lines etc. Everything. Would be cool to see 17"s though.

I'd rather shell out the extra $$ for LR4 compatible 18" rims rather than downsize on brakes... That being said, I'm swapping out my TuffAnts for Defender Steelies this weekend as I love the classic aesthetic of the white wheels.

k-lr4

Reaction score
Yes, the trick is you have to have a Vin of a new Defender with a 4cly engine or you can’t order them.

Here is a list of the part numbers and quantity. View attachment 12194
bumping an old thread....Hi OP - the rig looks awesome with those steelies. congratulations!!

I'm in the process of doing this myself. got a sample wheel to mount to see it if does and it does. I have the wheels, lugs n hub caps. I'm kind of stuck on the TPMS sensor issue. Part # LR070840 listed in your receipt - is that the one that's compatible with the LR4 software? When I spoke with the parts guy at my local dealership, he is of the opinion that the defender steel wheel compatible TPMS would not work on my LR4 (2013). according to their listing for my VIN, my 2013 LR4 has 315Mhz TPMS and not the 433 MHz TPMS. I'm not opposed to using the TPMS from the original alloys (19") in the defender steelies, just do not know if they will fit and seal correctly on the steelies.

Any inputs from your end?? Thanks in advance. I'll post up pics once mine go on the truck.

BTW -

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went with rubber valve stems and deactivated the TPMS. I'd like to find some TPMS with the rubber stem as the silver stem just doesn't look right on white steelies, in my opinion.

k-lr4

Reaction score
I just went with rubber valve stems and deactivated the TPMS. I'd like to find some TPMS with the rubber stem as the silver stem just doesn't look right on white steelies, in my opinion.
deactivating the TPMS would be the last resort for me if nothing else works. I share the LR4 use with the wife and as such would like to retain the TPMS functionality.

i'll probably have the tire shop take off the TPMS from the original alloy spare and see what frequency it runs. the silver on white is not nearly as noticeable to my eye.

I do need to get the IID gap tool though.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to your question, your LR4 does have 315mhz. They changed in 14, I think.

k-lr4

Reaction score
Back to your question, your LR4 does have 315mhz. They changed in 14, I think.
interesting. If that is actually the case, I wonder if the generic TPMS that discount tire has will work since their's is of the 315Mhz frequency (I confirmed with them). I would rather have TPMS in each set of wheels rather than having to swap as long as it fits and seals correctly. More to ponder I guess.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discount Tire's did not work for me a few years ago when I bought a new wheel for a full size spare. I think they wound up having to use the Land Rover sensor after trying a few of theirs.

k-lr4

Reaction score
Discount Tire's did not work for me a few years ago when I bought a new wheel for a full size spare. I think they wound up having to use the Land Rover sensor after trying a few of theirs.
good to know. Thx for all the help.

Do not mean to hijack the thread, so moderators - please feel free to move to a more relevant section.

The defender 18" steelies that I'm getting incidentally come with the new defender OEM 255/70/18 tires (good year wrangler all terrain adventure) on them. its a 32" tire that from whatever I have read on this forum will not fit without suspension mods / lift /trimming etc which I would rather stay away from. they are practically brand new but most tire shops around me think of that as an unusual size and are not willing to trade. I may just try them out for a few miles to gauge the feel but boy oh boy!!! the steel wheel and that tire combo is super heavy to lift. Plus with a larger tire, I'm worried about drive train stress with the changed overall gearing.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Ran 265/65r18 (32") for years and no gearing problems.
255/70r18 is only a 10" wide tire.
Thats almost an inch (8%) narrower and will help prevent a lot of rubbing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA