2.7 v6 diesel LR3 (Discovery 3) suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdv6

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm posting here on behalf of my uncle who's in Europe. He has an LR3 (or disco 3 as they call them in Europe) with a 2.7 turbo diesel engine and 6 speed manual. I'm going to try an be as detailed as possible with the limited info I have.

My uncle started having issues a few years ago when his car would randomly lower to the lowest setting possible and stay there, but eventually would reset after turning the car off and letting it sit for a few hours. The DSC light I believe, and I'm not sure what the other one is called, but I have a link with a picture from another car. The issue now is, it never raises anymore and continuously stays in the lowest position, and the controls to select ride height and type of terrain don't illuminate or work at all. Any thoughts?

Here's a picture

http://i.imgur.com/bjUI5AQh.jpg

The two symbols on the bottom left

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...sounds like his car is suffering from a negligent owner!

Scold him! Then have him start with the battery and brake switch...and then the EAS Compressor.

tdv6

Reaction score
No that's not the case... my uncle has been in the shop with the car almost every 2 weeks because something is wrong with it... unfortunately the car was probably beaten before he got it by the previous owner and the kilometers may also be rolled back (we are talking about eastern Europe)

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the light is out regarding hight settings , this could mean that compressor is toast, meaning that . con rod(piston ) inside air chamber is broken or seized.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like the compressor doesn't do anything...so even if early on it was a brake light switch or battery, sounds like it's now the compressor at minimum and maybe a combo.

I am saying that regardless of how often your uncle has been to the shop recently, sitting on a simple problem for a "few years" is not good practice. If this happened to me I'd have it sorted within days.

tdv6

Reaction score
I didn't post my question on this forum to have someone tell me my uncle is negligent... i came here asking for advice, if you have nothing better to do then call people out go somewhere else

Now, I unfortunately am halfway across the world, and I only talk once in a while with him so the details I can give are limited. The last time we spoke, he said that he went to the car, started it, and it raised itself back to normal height and all the warning lights in the dash disappeared... he drove for a bit, parked the car, came back a few hours later, and the car decided to lower itself again with the same two warning symbols... I'll mention to him these few things next time we talk.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me go somewhere else? I've been posting on this forum for about 8 years. I'm not going anywhere! Don't get all butt-hurt because I called your uncle out. I didn't say he was a bad guy, just that he should've probably not let the problem linger.

Also, I did do more than just call him out. I gave you all the info you would need to diagnose the problem, in order of cheaper to costlier. If the compressor still functions and can achieve the next height setting (from whichever one it starts) then it is quite possible that it is a brake switch or battery. The only thing that would make me say otherwise is the fact that it lowers while off; that is more typical of a leak somewhere within the EAS.

z1234567890

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm posting here on behalf of my uncle who's in Europe. He has an LR3 (or disco 3 as they call them in Europe) with a 2.7 turbo diesel engine and 6 speed manual. I'm going to try an be as detailed as possible with the limited info I have.

My uncle started having issues a few years ago when his car would randomly lower to the lowest setting possible and stay there, but eventually would reset after turning the car off and letting it sit for a few hours. The DSC light I believe, and I'm not sure what the other one is called, but I have a link with a picture from another car. The issue now is, it never raises anymore and continuously stays in the lowest position, and the controls to select ride height and type of terrain don't illuminate or work at all. Any thoughts?

Here's a picture

http://i.imgur.com/bjUI5AQh.jpg

The two symbols on the bottom left

Hi, do you have OBD II reader? This will be a nice tool to start to see what exactly thrown by system. Buy from ebay, amazon, dhgate.com cheap one is also fine, share the code here so maybe we get clue further

Other is usually either air compressor or leak somewhere

tdv6

Reaction score
Hi, do you have OBD II reader? This will be a nice tool to start to see what exactly thrown by system. Buy from ebay, amazon, dhgate.com cheap one is also fine, share the code here so maybe we get clue further

Other is usually either air compressor or leak somewhere

I myself have an OB2 reader, i'm relatively handy with cars also but as mentioned this is for my uncle who lives in Europe. I'm going to mention to him what the problems could be from what was mentioned here next time we talk... i'm sure there was a diagnostics done and codes were read but I only have limited information from what we have talked

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635