2003 Land Rover Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twista89

Reaction score
Hello guys,

So my neighbor who said he was tired of pouring money into this truck gave me the key a few days ago and said I can have it which made me pretty excited. He said that he took it to a mehanic and they said a cylinder sleeve slipped on the motor and I would need to buy a new engine and have it installed in the car. So yesterday I went out to jump it and try and start it which to my surprise it started fine. No sounds coming from the motor, no ticking, no clanking...nothing??? So my question to you guys is if a sleeve had dropped wouldnt the engine not want to run??

I took it around the block and noticed the temp gauge rising pretty fast and by the time I got it back home the engine wouldnt stay running and died right infront of the house. Tried to start it back up and it dies as soon as the key is let go. Also noticed it idled high and would roll at about 10mph on its on. No gas input needed. Checked the oil and noticed the oil was a sort of tan color, not a dirty black normal oil color. Didnt see any creamy ness though so I dont know if thats a indication of coolant mixing??? Also noticed that there wasnt any coolant which would explain the temp rising so fast. But yea what do you guys suggest I do with this car??? Everything else is fine as Im told said basically I need a new engine. How would buying a used engine be more this car as Im not looking to spend more than 3000 on the car as it would just be a backup for me. Do you guys think it really needs a new one???

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to send me your number, you need some guidance on Rover and their engines before you also start throwing a lot of money at it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM