2004 Cam Lobe issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverguy82

Reaction score
Hi All,
I purchased a 04 LR Disco SE7 a few months ago in December and was told that I was missing a Cam Lobe and I've already had the Front Drive Shaft replaced along with new wires & a coil, so I'm curious to know can a month long neglected mis-fire from a wire lead to the Cam Lobe going out by any chance? Also how difficult is it to have the Cam lobe fixed and whats the average cost of repair for something like that?!?

Thanks in Advance!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Missing a Cam Lobe? seriously on a 2004 Disco... does it have 200,000 miles on it? Did someone drive it without oil for a year.... How in the world did a mechanic even tell you with a straight face that you are missing a Cam Lobe? If this is true you have to replace the entire Cam.. A new cam is not that expensive maybe $100 to $200 depending on which one you get, but you have to remove the radiator and a few other parts to change it... while you there might as well change the timing gears and chain. But still, What is the issue your having and/or codes you are getting to make the mechanic think the Cam is worn out?

Roverguy82

Reaction score
Wow Joey I was already kind of suspicious of the mechanic because someone who doesn't even know that much about LR's said that it didn't sound right and now you just put the icing on the cake lol. But about a month and a half ago I had a loose wire(#8) that was misfiring and caused the the service engine light to come on so he(the mechanic) tightened it up and said that if if comes on again they could change it out. So two weeks ago it came back on but this time it was making a popping/back firing sound everytime I accelerated and I took it in got all the wires & a coil changed on it but the mechanic said that it was still making that sound. He said that the exhaust was too hot so he started looking for the problem and first said it that it was the Camshaft that wasn't opening the cylinders on time so the pressure from the exhaust was building up in the engine causing it to backfire when accelerating but then he called today and said it was the Cam Lobe that was missing. Also said that it would be around $1000 to fix mainly because of the "Labor", keep in mind that I have already put about $1300 into it unexpectantly since Feb but if it keeps being like this I'm going to have to definitely make some changes somewhere but I really do love this Truck smh!?! :confused:

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I replied to you on the other forum and want to know how many miles are on the truck which will really determine the extent of the actual repair.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge