2005 Service Items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone intersted in knowing how a 2005 LR3 HSE is aging, I'm going to update this thread occassionally. It's basically a list of known and not known things that have happened to my LR3 which was purchased in March of 2005 (one of the early ones) and will probably remain with me for until the warranty expires, probably 2012 or 2013. I'll update this whenever something happens or the vehicle gets something done during serivce.

Overall, very happy with the recent performance of my LR3. No real issues except the minor ones listed below. The vehicle has 38,000 miles on it which is very low for a 4-year-old. I've put it through moderate off-road use for work and hunting and that's about it. Most miles are back and forth to work.

Most recent, August 2008:
1) Driver side material had foam backing coming out of the bottom. Dealer had never seen it before, but had to replace the mirror.
2) Airbag Sensor Replacement: I guess the airbag sensor is in the clasp for the seat belt and failed. I was getting random airbag warning lights when I had a passenger.
3) Speaker, passenger side: A constant problem since 2005, the dealer admitted the issue was with the grill and panel, not the speaker. The only way to fix the rattle was/is to replace the entire panel. This apparently is not a small feat and will require a new panel from overseas (4-6 week delivery).
4) Hill Descent Control Faults: This is a wierd one. My HDC was clicking in at random at highway speeds. Not sure what the problem, but the dealer said it's been addressed. They were worried about Caliper lock, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Next time I have to get new brakes (HDC at 70 causes quite the brake pad burn).

Previous Issues (all resolved):
1) Goodyear tires wobble, replaced with Michelin Synchrones
2) Battery Issues: Replaced at dealer cost.
3) A-Pillar Leak: Fixed after numerous visits to dealer in 2005.
4) Speaker Replacement: Supposedly fixed issue, but did not.
5) Brake Replacemnt at 25K. My cost.
6) Steering Wheel Replacement: Wheel cover delaminating.
7) Airbag Unit Replacement.
8) Compressor Failure on Suspension. Replaced
9) Sway Arm Replacment: I guess the bushings needed replacement (covered in previous threads). I"m guessing this will be a buggaboo for most older LR3 owners. Seemed to happen very early in the life of the car.
10) Replaced Front Tow Hook Cover with one from British Atlantic. Other one lost to the wild somewhere.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38k miles? ....your LR3 is just a baby!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had some of those items on my 2005 as well, now at 57K. Plus the fuel tank replacement (recall), clock spring (recall) and coolant level sensor (very common issue with 2005's).

Soldiering on without warranty :cool:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2005 HSE used in February. It had 60K on it. So far.. all I had was the leak from my A-Pillars and overhead light unit. All resolved due to all drain tubes being clogged.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'05 HSE purchased new in Nov. '05 70,250 miles.

No suspension bushing problems (good smooth roads in Florida???) but did have an air pump replaced at 49500 miles. Failed on the way to the dealer for a final under warranty service.

I'll do a DIY brake job at 75,000 and this time replace the rotors along with the pads. Also, will install 3rd set of tires, replacing soft-roader Michelins with Goodyear MTR's.

Only other issue was LRNA replaced my dash out of warranty after many cracks appeared around the defroster vents. Dealer service advisor said this is becoming a real issue for LR3's and RRS in SoFla and S. Texas.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you've had no bushing problems. Do you do ANY offroading? Which Michelins did you run and how many miles have you gotten out of them? You going 30" MT/Rs?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 73,000 on my 05 and I haven't had any bushing problems.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who amongst you folks with the still-good bushings are NON off-roaders?

I'm trying to determine if my wheelin' adventures contributed to mine going out within 60k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4