2006 LR3 v6 4.0 - possible engine overhaul :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeroborta

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brit in Saudi Arabia.

I bought my first LR almost two years ago at 184,000 km. It is now at apprx 228,000km. I cannot say how much I enjoy this car.

From the major works I've had done so far include:

New fuel pump and crank sensor at 222,000km.
New engine belt also at around 220,000km.
New complete bushings set on front similar time.

*I've had an O2 front driver side sensor problem which I have ignored.

I'm the fourth owner and all were Brits. One of the main reasons I got it was due to its service history as it has had most jobs done at dealership or main independent dealers.

Before travelling for the summer, we did a (apprx 2,000km) road trip where the car refused to start. Thankfully it got us through the entire journey and I towed it back home. At the garage it started right up away as if nothing had occurred. This lead to the crank sensor (which showed up on the OBD) and fuel pump to be changed.

Now the same problem has showed up again (this time as a pending error) so I am wondering what could cause damage to the crank sensor? Since I only replaced it about 6,000km ago. The engine cranks but refuses to start.

From research I've narrowed down the following potential issues in order of most likely:

1. Crank shaft issues (seal, the shaft itself, flywheel) < will require complete overhual
2. Other electrical issues (cam shaft sensor?)

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Labour is cheap here and a complete overhaul will cost $3-4k altogether including parts and labour (2:2). I bought the car for just under $10k so I'm thinking if i can get another 200km for $4k overhaul is money well spent.

would appreciate your advice/experiences.

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a crank shaft seal, you would have an oil leak. Is fuel available at the schaeder valve?
If you can get a full overhaul for that price it would be the way to go assuming you have major problems but if engine was ok then why bother as it will not fix electrical issues.
If you take one spark plug out and crank the engine, does it spark?

Bentonrover

Reaction score
How do your crank shaft pulley look. Mime was giving me issues with starting before it completely delaminated? Mine failed at 113k on a V6 4.0

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72