2006 Range Rover - scraping noise on left turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCD30

Reaction score
Hi there -

I have an '06 Range Rover with 125K on it. Six months ago I moved cross country and had the car shipped. Our house has epoxy finish on the garage floor (first time I've had that), and I noticed a very small leak. Brought it to the new dealer right away (my main concern was that the shipping company damaged it because it seemed like the driver had messed with the suspension to get it fit on the bottom row of the truck). They said it was residual from recent oil change. Sounded fine enough. they were out of loaners, and car was serviced the week before I shipped it, so I left.

But it never stopped. Then two months ago I heard a scraping (perhaps grinding, but it was more of scrape. Almost like the sound the side of a plastic sled would make scraping along icy crunchy snow - that's the best I can come up with right now anyway).

I kept thinking it was dropping down on one side - maybe passenger side. It was very slight if it was happening at all. It also seemed to be making a funny almost faint helicopter like noise right after I started driving it in the morning. (I thought similar to a wheel bearing - only one has been replaced so far). That sound would go away after less than a mile or so. So I told them about that, the scrape noise and the fluid leak. They said differential - replaced the O ring, the front brushings, and apparently the damper.

Labor on the differential work was an insane amount... the leak must have been coming from the O ring, because it stopped. So that's great. But the car didn't seem to drive all that differently after the brushings etc were replaced. I still sort of heard the helicopter like noise just as I drove down my street. Then it stopped. I

Then yesterday I made a left turn - was going about 25/30mph at the time and I heard the scraping noise again. I pulled onto a side street and tried to replicate the noise without any luck. Then I headed into an appointment for about 20 min. I was convinced the front end had dropped a few inches while I was inside. I drove the car home without issue and the car seemed fine when I pulled into the garage.

This morning the front end might be slightly lower - but it's hard to say for sure.

Does anyone have any idea what this noise could be?

I'd love to trust the dealer, but the service advisor I had for my last visit absolutely tried to scam me on brakes - she told me it was a Land Rover policy that the rotors must be replaced when replacing brake pads - no matter how worn the pads are. The car is an 06, I've moved four times.... i have every single service record, and it was never a Land Rover policy before lady. So my confidence/trust level in their honesty and capabilities is very low right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCD30

Reaction score
Well the leak is back now too.

KCD30

Reaction score

Just got the noise again. About 10 seconds into video.

9cfaae5f422acee5447a21adf01cb048.jpg

d17d262ea2aa0a3df5923936e4284f26.jpg

That's the leak - again it had stopped after the O ring was replaced, and started again either yesterday or a few days ago.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly not sure on the leak without physically seeing the vehicle. Sound if only in turns could be brakes or even the airbags. If you have never changed the airbags yet, at that mileage they may be starting to go.

As far as pads and rotors, I would change at the same time as well. Sadly Rover Rotors are very close to minimums when installed after going through a set of brake pads they need replaced, at least in my opinion.

KCD30

Reaction score
Interesting- it's just very strange that no other dealers suggested that rotor issue to me. Brakes were not even close to failure point. But very interesting, perhaps she wasn't totally trying to scam me.

They were replaced, but it's been 5 years or so. (Nearly everything has been replaced at this point!). Seems like there is a good chance that's the problem after I read about it a bit more. Thanks.

Will see - hopefully they figure it out this time.

Thanks for responding!

KCD30

Reaction score
Read through all of my service records - the left front air spring was replaced 25K miles ago (4 years). Front right and compressor were replaced about 10K before that. (5 years ago). So neither are that old.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it were my vehicle, I would pull the front wheels and check the brake calipers to make sure they are not sticking and I would check the wheel bearings both sides as well. When wheel bearing does go bad it almost always sounds like it is the other side going bad. Since this only happens in turns, that is where I would start.

KCD30

Reaction score
I agree that a wheel bearing could be the issue. I mentioned it last time. I've only replaced one wheel bearing so far. It totally could be a brake caliper - I did replace the front left two years ago (probably only 4K on it since then), but it doesn't mean it was done correctly.... but last time was sticking it was a softer scrape, and there was a bit of a smell.

Thanks again. Still no word from them.

Last edited:

KCD30

Reaction score
Apparently noise was heat shield scraping against wheel or brake- which really ****** me off because (now that I know what it is..) I could sort of see it hanging somewhat low when I heard the noise months ago before all this work. And now leak is engine oil and not differential fluid. I suppose it could perhaps be a new leak - but it looks exactly the same.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
glad you found your scraping noise and that it should be a cheap fix. Oil leak, well almost all vehicles will eventually leak oil.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM