2008 lr3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at the dealer looking today and they had a 2008 HSE LR3 V8 with 149000 miles. The body, paint , and interior are in excellent shape - no tears, scratches, rips, rust, etc. Carfax is very clean with two owners (first for 130k miles, second for 19k miles). Seems very loaded with all including the headrest screens. Tires and brakes look good.

Asking $12-13k for it.

Would not mind getting for one of our kids going off to college. Good or bad idea? What to look for? What to ask?

Know much more about the LR4 but nothing much about the LR3.

Thanks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
define "bad idea". I think it would be awesome myself, but when things go bad it'd be more expensive to maintain than say, a Toyota- especially if you can't maintain it yourself. If you want to go down to an '05, I have a great one for sale with 40,000 fewer miles. PM me if interested. Where are you located?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great vehicle but not for a college kid, in my opinion. Too time-consuming and costly to maintain. Good new is that at 8 years old that mileage points to highway miles and not short trips.

If you want an off-roader get an LR3. If you just want a 4WD there are better options out there.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a different opinion than Houm, if I never off roaded again, I could still never think of a 4x4 I'd rather drive. It just has what I want, utility, perfect size, great riding position, agility, maneuverability... and I will admit that there's a part of me that just likes driving a Rover :)

That said I do agree that it's not the perfect vehicle for the budget conscious. I haven't spent nearly as much as many on maintenance - but I've been pretty lucky and do everything myself. I've turned away young kids before that wanted to buy one of my past Rovers for this very reason.

I'd say I've only spent maybe $2500 on maintenance (beyond routine) since my extended warranty was up maybe 45,000 miles ago. But it could have been quite a bit more. If you go into it knowing and being prepared for this, then you'll enjoy it quite a ton!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fair...and saying "If I never off roaded again" implies that you have off-roaded in the past. Putting the LR3 through its paces and then choosing to transition more into a lighter use case (like camping, overlanding) is totally different than NEVER off-roading.

I could agree with getting an LR3 for the former but not the latter. If you are just never ever gonna get it dirty then why buy a 5600 lb beast that gets 14 mpg (mixed use) and costs substantially more to maintain than say a 4Runner, LX470, Pathfinder?

Totally get the "rather drive a Rover" sentiment. I feel the same way...but I use every last bit of its functionality and I am okay with the extra maintenance.

Now...recalling the OP's post...what college kid needs that?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, true that. A college kid needs a Jeep, period.
I had a 10 year old rusted to pieces jeep in college with a stop sign that stood in for the floor board that had disintegrated. Most fun ever.

I've definitely off roaded plenty but off roading in MI isn't nearly as technical as in the mountains. Mud holes, ruts, sand, 2 tracks etc.. but nothing that's made me any kind of expert at it.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input - it was what I expected to hear.

Jeep is our first choice. This LR3 was more of an opportunity buy. She will be up in MI and want something that will get here through the snow to come home safely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99