2011 Range Rover Sport a decent buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnation

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2011 Range Rover Sport as a secondary vehicle. It has 125,000 miles on it and is in good condition cosmetically and I've had it checked by a mechanic who says the engine is solid and it doesn't have any major issues. The owner is asking $11,000 for it. What should I offer him price wise and do you think this would be a good buy just for local use and not any major travel? Thank you in advance for any help here.

Reaction score
From the 'net: Land Rover/Jaguar 5. 0 engines from 2010 to 2013 are affected by timing chain tensioner guides. This was an engineering error on oem equipment. Timing guides are made of aluminum and piston on tensioner is steel. Engine will develop a tick/knock. Not addressing the issue will lead to timing issues and engine failures. Land rover/Jaguar is aware of the issue and fix is at consumer expense of over $5k. They will install a newly designed guide with a steel "button" insert for piston to rest on. Ive seen posts with issues arising as little as 7k miles. No check engine lights with this issue. This issue should've been addressed as a recall.

Be certain this has been addressed or plan on the job soon if you buy the car. Best case is that it wears the sprockets and it slips a cog causing a rough engine. Worst case is it lets go and cleans out the engine.

Otherwise the price is about right based on my recent experience in Sacramento. I ended up with a '09.

Another topic is to check service records for timely transmission fluid changes. This is important also.

Best of success!

Gbantu

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2011 Range Rover Sport as a secondary vehicle. It has 125,000 miles on it and is in good condition cosmetically and I've had it checked by a mechanic who says the engine is solid and it doesn't have any major issues. The owner is asking $11,000 for it. What should I offer him price wise and do you think this would be a good buy just for local use and not any major travel? Thank you in advance for any help here.
Please they useless car especially that 2011 Sports i have a one dead we still cant figure what is the problem.....i will give it up for 5k.

Attachments

• received_10156539634753738.jpeg
    received_10156539634753738.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 42

alldazed

Reaction score
I’ve had a 2011 sport supercharged for 3 years now with similar mileage to the one you are looking at. It had full service history from the dealer and the timing chain/tensioners already done by dealer. Been quite pleased with it. I did the water pump, front air suspension valve , front sway bar linkages , a new battery and other routine maintenance, oil changes etc. if you plan on doing your own maintenance a scanner is essential. I don’t have the gap 11d scanner as I already had a foxwell from a bmw . Added in the LR software and it has served me well. Can reset oil/service intervals, reset new batt and drain suspension etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA