2011 RR HSE gearbox, shift will not stay in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetpea71

Reaction score
My 2011 RR HSE Lux had occasionally taken a second try to get gear shift to register in park mode. Now it is much more problematic, requiring me to fiddle around to manually hold it in park w/ knee for extra pressure to start the engine. I only have 44k mi on vehicle, so its old but w/ low miles.

The gear shift feels loose, as it almost crosses over laterally to the left as much as in overdrive mode. There is no gearbox fault warning on dash. I can see when it registers into park on dash once I hit the right angle on shift, but issue is progressive, so need to address ASAP.

Anyone have similar issue? Or a good guesstimate(s) on issue(s) & potential costs?

I am not remotely able to fix on my own, so no need to give details on DIY, just any info/insights will help mitigate me being viewed as clueless easy upsell target. Thx!

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like either a loose shifter linkage or a bad park sensor. Shouldn't be too hard, take center console apart (about an hour, adjust or replace switch, then an hour to put things back together).

jp7147

Reaction score
I happened to have the same problem last week and after watching a few videos I was able to find the linkage under the car was rusty and came loose.
My dealer wanted $275 to fix but after looking online, I found the kit for $41 on The Atlantic British site and it took me 15min to replace. It’s only two bolts… Super easy!

Question: when you step on the breaks, do your break lights go on?
If the don’t, check the break fuse. In my lr4 is behind the glovebox.
Usually the break fuse is linked to the shifter as well. If those two are fine then it can also be the break solenoid.
Start with the shifter link. Get under the car front passenger side. Should be easy to see from there.
Good luck!

Sweetpea71

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful replies.
Yes, my brake light indicator & park sensor are working.
The repair shop I am familiar with stated over the phone it sounded like the shift was loose, and tightening was no big deal. The other shop, which can take vehicle in sooner, scared me over the phone - asked for ”fix” price for something I had done in the past, they were a lot more $$$, so figure they are only slightly less than dealer.

The Land Rover dealer I purchased from is horrible, they cannot fix their own vehicles & charge a premium. I get better service buying M&Ms from 7Eleven than my ~100k SUV (purchase price) serviced at dealership ;)
Hence I found a good repair shop that I have been using in lieu of dealer. They are just backed up with schedule, but I can survive another 8 days.

I am not mechanically inclined, so rather leave to capable hands. But glad its likely not a major cost.

Thx again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut