2014 Range Rover Sport Final Spy Shot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is always my problem with configuring a car. I tend to add everything. I showed a massive amount of restraint when I didnt get vision assist or extended leather... but I did get pretty much everything else.

That pano roof is pretty amazing. Just imagine your LR4 without the back two sun roofs.. just wouldn't be the same. (im not helping, i know :p)

:)

Don't get me wrong, the pano is nice. But it is such an expensive option. And, I mentioned this before, having too much glass might end up looking kinda shabby when it's dirty. Imagine having to deal with bird crap all the time? I personally wouldn't want to be sitting in the back and seeing bird crap above my head. So it could have its set-backs.

If I get the HSE, which is highly likely, then I believe it comes standard, yes? But then I'm stuck with tiny little wheels. hahaha... I don't like the look of the standard wheels at all. So if you want something that actually looks like they work within those large wheel-wells, you're up another 2K.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:)

Don't get me wrong, the pano is nice. But it is such an expensive option. And, I mentioned this before, having too much glass might end up looking kinda shabby when it's dirty. Imagine having to deal with bird crap all the time? I personally wouldn't want to be sitting in the back and seeing bird crap above my head. So it could have its set-backs.

If I get the HSE, which is highly likely, then I believe it comes standard, yes? But then I'm stuck with tiny little wheels. hahaha... I don't like the look of the standard wheels at all. So if you want something that actually looks like they work within those large wheel-wells, you're up another 2K.
I am really enjoying this conversation and can't wait to see if you decide to go with the 2014 RRS. When I first saw the spy shots, I was not into it at all and now it is growing on me as I look at website photos and videos. It is quite a nice design and I bet is very well made. I guess you have to trust your gut and excitement and it seems to be in the 2014 RRS direction. I actually think it would be perfect for you. I agree that you likely do not need the third row seat, as it really does not look all that functional except for small children - plus it's expensive.

If you can, post your exact build, as I would love to take a look! :) One thing I did not understand when I did a build, is the low-range gear box and terrain response only an option or standard? I know there seems to be a package you can select, so I was not sure.

We are all so weird. Hahaha! :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying this conversation and can't wait to see if you decide to go with the 2014 RRS. When I first saw the spy shots, I was not into it at all and now it is growing on me as I look at website photos and videos. It is quite a nice design and I bet is very well made. I guess you have to trust your gut and excitement and it seems to be in the 2014 RRS direction. I actually think it would be perfect for you. I agree that you likely do not need the third row seat, as it really does not look all that functional except for small children - plus it's expensive.

If you can, post your exact build, as I would love to take a look! :) One thing I did not understand when I did a build, is the low-range gear box and terrain response only an option or standard? I know there seems to be a package you can select, so I was not sure.

We are all so weird. Hahaha! :)

Totally, weird. haha... we're car nuts.

Okay, I'll post my build. I have two. The SE config and a HSE config. Several different colors too.

Yeah, the 3rd row is pretty useless. I really wish I could have the new RR, the new RRS, and my LR4, or a new '13 LR4. That would complete my garage. But, ah... that ain't gonna happen. At least not in this lifetime. :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's my maybe build:

Exterior:

HSE
Aintree Green
Contrast Full Size Panoramic Roof - Indus Silver
21 inch Forged 9 Spoke - Machine Polished Finish - Style 20

Interior:

Espresso/Almond with Espresso Seats
-or-
Espresso/Ivory with Espresso Seats (Ivory might be hard to keep clean)
Shadow Zebrano Veneer Finisher
The Meridian Premium Audio Enhancement Package
Extra Duty Package (not sure if this is necessay, or why it's not standard?)
Luxury Climate and Visibility Package (shouldn't this be standard?)

(gripe, ah, so, HSE, before options noted above, is $5K more than SE, because, the pano-roof and leather holes?)

$75,940 (mind you, the wheels are not priced, so add another $3.K?)

OMG - really?

$79,940

I need some tissues.

But I like it. Do I want to afford it? Well, if the truck was in front of me right now, and there was an outgoing RR HSE sitting next to it, what would I go for? The RR.

Okay, my cheap build is coming up next!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's my responsible build:

Exterior:

SE
Fuji White
21 inch 5 Split-Spoke - Style 14 (not my fav, but I "could" live with them)

Interior:
Espresso/Almond with Almond Seats
Climate Comfort and Visibility Package

$67,595

Would I be completely happy with this package? Yeah, a little bit. Would I regret not getting all those holes in the leather? Maybe. Would I regret not getting the extra duty, yeah, probably, but not really. Would I regret not having any sunroof whatsoever? Yeah, that would kind of suck. Would I be happy with the body color roof? No, I'd regret not getting the Santorini black. I could add it for only $650 bucks, but still no light at all inside the cabin.

Now, if I was about to drop $68K on this baby, and there was an outgoing RRS HSE w/the HK L7, for the exact same price, with the nice standard wheels that look so expensive and sweet, the nice everything, soft leather, the cute little holes... a sunroof at least... a V8, and a sense of a "loaded" purchase, yeah... I would likely go for the outgoing.

Okay, my dream build coming up next. (haha)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dream build:

Exterior:

HSE
Aintree Green
Contrast Full Size Panoramic Roof - Indus Silver
22 inch 5 Split Spoke - Style 6

Interior:

Espresso/Ivory with Espresso Seats
Powered 5+2 Seating with 60:40 Folding Rear Seats with Load Through

Extra Duty Package
Luxury Climate and Visibility Package
Smokers Package (just kiddin', this isn't priced in)

$79,740

The big 22" wheels are factored in and this MSRP is accurate. Again, though... $79K for a V6? I'm not in love with the new pricing.

Would I walk back over to that outgoing RRS HSE w/L7 sound system? Sitting there... calling my name... "O N L Y S I X T Y E I G H T T H O U S A N D!"

And the sales man (Maybe Eric? at San Jose) saying, "I think we can bring that price down a litte, would $65K sound reasonable?"

I'd pretty much say, "Ah, it's a left-over really, I think you can do better on that price."

Eric responds, he's been beat up pretty badly by now (hahaha) ... "Okay, okay, $64K and I'll throw in some rubber mats!"

Done... I'm coming home with an outgoing RRS. that's pretty much loaded, looks amazing, wheels are amazing, the works.. for almost $15 GRAND LESS...!

And would I be happy? Yeah, would I still dream about my "dream build"... yes... but $15K!? And would I really want to spend $80K on a beautiful, beautiful truck, with a V6?...

I can think of where I can put $15K. A new motorcycle (sport/dirt) or two, maybe a Jet Ski, a trailer for sure... and some other toys.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Count,

That was great - thanks for posting your various builds. It was a totally fun read and I am completely in agreement with all of your builds - sounds very close to what I had priced out myself. I am just not sure I could spend $80,000 on a 2014 RRS with a V6. You could get a completely loaded 2013 RRS or even a nicely loaded 2012 RR. I'd probably go for the latter option, but maybe the 2013 RRS. With that said, I do think that you will regret not going for the 2014 model and having the most updated version with all the features.

I will tell you, just looking at the Land Rover of San Jose website - there are LOTS of 2013 RRS in stock and I would imagine that most people who are looking for a RRS will wait for the 2014. So, I think there will be some awesome deals on the 2013 RRS in the next few months - I am talking thousands off the MSRP to clear the lots!

If we were talking about the Discovery 5/LR5 with a possible body change, then maybe die hard Land Rover guys would buy up the previous model Discovery to make sure they get a classic Land Rover look. Maybe?

Either way, I am really excited to see what you will get! :)

Oh, and if I had my choice I would also have a RR and LR4. Haha! :)

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That '12 RR w/Sand (not the best color) going for $76K at San Jose was an amazing deal. I was tempted a few times to drive down there and grab it. But the color was a little too mature for my taste. But yeah... looks like it sold last weekend.

If I got a nice loaded outgoing RRS, I think I'd be pretty happy with it for a few years. I usually never keep cars over 3-years... So I could off it down the road and get the new RRS when the heat is off... inflation catches up... and they offer a few little refinements and work out all the bugs.

It's a real consideration. I see beautifully loaded RRS HSEs going for $68K (w/L7) and I know I could probably get it for $66K.

Spending $80K on the new RRS with a V6 just doesn't feel right. And getting one I can live with for $70K doesn't feel right either. Because I'd feel buyers remorse for sure.

I'm not saying the new RRS isn't priced correctly, it's obviously a marvel, BUT, the V6 is in question (only 340 hp??? really?) and it's going to be so hot when it comes out getting any sort of deal is going to be impossible.

The only thing that's in my favor is that LR still scores so poorly (JD Powers) and that's going to be extremely hard for Land Rover to overcome... no matter how hot their trucks are/or become. Although I don't agree with those reports... and my LR4 is truly the most reliable car I've ever owned, the "consumer reports"-type consumers will not even come close to walking near a LR lot.

I hope LR's new strategy works... but I think they're biting off more than they can chew. They are pricing "us" out... and hoping to make up margin w/new customers... but LR still has one of the worst reliability reports in the world!

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That '12 RR w/Sand (not the best color) going for $76K at San Jose was an amazing deal. I was tempted a few times to drive down there and grab it. But the color was a little too mature for my taste. But yeah... looks like it sold last weekend.

If I got a nice loaded outgoing RRS, I think I'd be pretty happy with it for a few years. I usually never keep cars over 3-years... So I could off it down the road and get the new RRS when the heat is off... inflation catches up... and they offer a few little refinements and work out all the bugs.

It's a real consideration. I see beautifully loaded RRS HSEs going for $68K (w/L7) and I know I could probably get it for $66K.

Spending $80K on the new RRS with a V6 just doesn't feel right. And getting one I can live with for $70K doesn't feel right either. Because I'd feel buyers remorse for sure.

I'm not saying the new RRS isn't priced correctly, it's obviously a marvel, BUT, the V6 is in question (only 340 hp??? really?) and it's going to be so hot when it comes out getting any sort of deal is going to be impossible.

The only thing that's in my favor is that LR still scores so poorly (JD Powers) and that's going to be extremely hard for Land Rover to overcome... no matter how hot their trucks are/or become. Although I don't agree with those reports... and my LR4 is truly the most reliable car I've ever owned, the "consumer reports"-type consumers will not even come close to walking near a LR lot.

I hope LR's new strategy works... but I think they're biting off more than they can chew. They are pricing "us" out... and hoping to make up margin w/new customers... but LR still has one of the worst reliability reports in the world!
Hey Count,

I also saw that 2012 RR on the LR of San Jose website and thought it was a great deal. There were a few great deals on 2012 RR SC vehicles as well. When I did a search for the 2013 RRS at LR of San Jose, there were lots of them - full loaded and SC options. They had a pretty nice Aintree Green one as well. I know the new 2014 RRS is very tempting, heck even I have been wishing for it a bit, but I think your plan of getting a 2013 RRS for a few years and then going with the new RRS seems great. You can literally save thousands of dollars and likely get something full loaded. If you keep that for 2-3 years and then jump to a newer model that would be really smart.

Knowing the typical crowd going for the RRS, I just don't see people jumping to get an outgoing 2013 RRS - they are going to want the 2014 model. Thus, I highly doubt you will get any type of deal on the 2014 RRS, but can probably negotiate a sweet deal on the 2013 model. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get $5,000+ off the MSRP.

Sorry, spending close to $80K on a new RRS (and still not having everything you absolutely want) is just not something I would ever do. I would get a 2013 RRS or a 2012 RR.

Something tells me you would love a 2012 RR - it definitely is an amazing vehicle. Even I was looking around a bit and very tempted, I need to stick with the Discovery series.

I am excited for you and sort of living through you - hahaha! :)

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really excited for you too, your order sounds awesome!!! I can't wait until you get it. I think I'll find the perfect deal... the hunt is on. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49