2014 Range Rover Sport Final Spy Shot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sense... if it was a fixed suspension then it'd be a dealbreaker for me.

I read the wading has also increased quite a bit. With "wading" warning/or level detection.

The third-row optoin puts the MRSP through the roof though. Hmmm... :mad:
The third-row seats look to be mechanical - right? The base price has actually gone up quite a bit, especially for the HSE. Wasn't it about $61,000 before? Now it is about $68,000. I bet most of these RRS will price out in the low to mid-$70,000 range.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The third-row seats look to be mechanical - right? The base price has actually gone up quite a bit, especially for the HSE. Wasn't it about $61,000 before? Now it is about $68,000. I bet most of these RRS will price out in the low to mid-$70,000 range.

Yeah, the outgoing RRS starts at $60,450 (very close to that.) So this new pricing is $3K more. Somewhat steep but the SE is pretty loaded up. But once you start adding a few nice items, especially the 3rd row seat, you're up to $72K. Which is... ah... a bit over the top for a base model w/just a few options.

If you build the HSE with just a few minor options, you're in that range again. You're almost better off getting the HSE, my build comes out to about $72K, but if you could get it off the lot for $68K, that wouldn't be so bad.

But I'm sure the configurations as you said will all be in the mid-70s **-hum.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel articulation, approach / departure angles and ground clearance of the new Sport have actually increased compared to the outgoing model, thanks to the newly redesigned EAS. A dynamic locking rear differential is still available as an option. Overall, when fitted with the dual range transfer case and other goodies of the "Extra Heavy Duty" package, this should be a more capable off-roader than the outgoing Sport and current LR4, at least on paper.

Here is the press release that goes into greater detail about the improvements and innovations of the 2014 Sport, they are quite numerous and probably justify the higher price (the new "barebone" SE is surely introduced in North America to soften the price increase blow of better equipped trims such as the HSE, which have gone up about $7K compared to a similarly equipped 2013MY...)

http://www.desktopmachine.com/press/2042/Land_Rover_Rover_Sport/

The many new electronic gizmos and driving dynamics sound impressive, but will they work? That's always been the issue with Land Rover. After offering it for 4 years, the surround cameras system is still an iffy proposition, and now these same cameras plus a host of new radars and sensors are supposed to do double and triple duty as blind spot detection, auto-parking maneuvering, wading depth warning, intelligent Terrain Response, etc... I wouldn't want to be a first year "tester" for all this cool new stuff.

The "+2" third row of seats is, by Land Rover's own definition, designed for "occasional use", meaning by tiny children with no legs and other extremities to speak of, and limited ability to verbally complain about the serious lack of leg and headroom back there. On the plus side, they are electrically deployed with switches in the trunk and fold completely flat when not in use, so I guess they would work in an emergency and not rob the cargo area of space when folded away. However, the LR4 remains the only vehicle in Land Rover's lineup with 7 viable seats for average size human beings.

Last edited:

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the overall design is quite sharp looking and given the intended market, I think any watering down of off-roading capability won't be missed, if at all. I understand the arguements for brand heritage, but Tata like everyone else is likely more concerned about bottom line.

The one thing I did notice, and am quite jealous of, is the ~28 gallon fuel tank!! I would **** for 6 extra gallons.

weingarm

Reaction score
Everyone who's expecting the redesigned LR4 to be a 2014 model should realize that's not going to happen. Car-makers stretch out their new model introductions to capitalize on publicity.

The redesigned models went/will go as follows:

2012 Range Rover Evoque (on sale Fall 2011)
2013 Range Rover (on sale Fall 2012)
2014 Range Rover Sport (on sale Fall 2013)
2015 LR4 - or whatever they name it - (on sale Fall 2014)

I have a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX and am perfectly happy with it. I, like many of you, value the usable 3rd row of seats in a pinch. We have 3 kids (all sit in the 2nd row), so the 3rd row is really only used 2-3 times a year.

That said, this new RRS could sway me away from the LR4 in 5-6 years depending on what they do with the redesigned LR4. The RRS looks quite nice in Santorini Black with the 21" Diamond Turned finish wheels (see pic)

Attachments

• RRS.JPG
    RRS.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 23

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've gotten used to the RRS design and seeing a bunch of videos, it's a pretty mouth-watering truck. It blows away anything in its category. Actually, it makes the Evoque look completely dated and almost cartoonish. It also got me wondering where in the world would you go on next-gen Evoque? More-concept-esque?

Nonetheless, the new RRS is something to desire for sure. I've noticed though, that based on some configurations, that this thing isn't cheap at all. Every config I’ve done, on the cheap, still brings me up near $75K. And, if you don't go for the pano-roof, do you get at least a sunroof?

With this in mind, if I spring for the new RRS, I know I'll have to reach a little deeper into my pocket. Personally, I could do without the pano-roof, but a sunroof would have been nice. So basically, I'm forced into getting that option.

Second, as noted earlier, the 3rd-row might be pretty useless when compared to how much the option is. You could pick up a used car for the price of that option. I also would like to feel the leather in person. The textured leather is likely exactly the same in our HSE non-LUX LR4s. Which is okay... BUT, I still need to know.

I really like the new RRS... I showed my wife and she smiled and said, well, that is pretty nice... go for it. And mind you, my wife HATES cars!!! So that's a big deal. I'll have to figure out the right configuration... I'd likely opt out on the 3-rd row and pano-roof, but load up on the other goodies like Meridian sound-system and nicer wheels, which aren't cheap. At this point though guys, I’m 85% sure I’m going to get the new RRS. I haven’t stopped thinking about it. I haven’t felt this excited about a car in a very long time. And this thing can off-road just fine… and hug the curves… and as I’ve gotten older and more parental of course, the hard-core hobbies are not a priority anymore.

I LOVE my LR4 very much, but after driving in to work this morning I realized that it really is nearing its EOL... and I don't think I could live with it for another 4 to 5 years. Have any of you driven a Disco II lately? It makes you realize what the word progression means.

Last edited:

LR34

Reaction score
With this in mind, if I spring for the new RRS, I know I'll have to reach a little deeper into my pocket. Personally, I could do without the pano-roof, but a sunroof would have been nice. So basically, I'm forced into getting that option.

Hopefully you'll be reaching deep enough for the SC V8, otherwise I'd pass or just get an Evoque.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is always my problem with configuring a car. I tend to add everything. I showed a massive amount of restraint when I didnt get vision assist or extended leather... but I did get pretty much everything else.

That pano roof is pretty amazing. Just imagine your LR4 without the back two sun roofs.. just wouldn't be the same. (im not helping, i know :p)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you'll be reaching deep enough for the SC V8, otherwise I'd pass or just get an Evoque.

I'm a little weary of the SC V6... especially that it's the lower rated motor. They should have gone with the higher output... 340 seems a little non-premium. BUT... need more data right.

One thing interesting about the new RRS, is that it really doesn't date the outgoing too much. I would consider a outgoing SC V8 at a discount if that opportunity should ever arise. It has a nice classic look.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635