2016 LR4 w/32k miles - replace all brakes at same time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyG

Reaction score
Here's my scenario. My rear left rotor is grinding and grooved across the entire surface. Happened over the period of about a week. Getting noisier. I want to sell the car within 3 months and buy a Defender so minimizing maintenance/repair cost is ideal. Should I just replace the one rotor and pads (fix on the cheap) or do all four corners with OEM, etc... Or just the rears? Thanks, Marty.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should never work on brakes by corner when it comes to discs or pads (wear items). Always work by axle (both front, both rear, or all 4). The only exception might be if you are trying to correct something that went awry in a very recent brake job - say within the last couple of thousand miles.

A new set of pads and rotors is not a trivial thing to mention upon resale.

I'm selling my '11 Miata in a few weeks and I expect the fact that I did a full brake job, belt, coolant flush with new reservoir and thermostat, and new spark plugs all in the last year (<5k miles) to more than make up for the fact that it will need new summer tires this spring.

MartyG

Reaction score
JohnnyCakes - I plan to sell privately. I don't want to leave several bucks on the table going through the dealer again. I did that in 2016 with a mint LR4.

Quijote - That's what I expected to hear. I've always done fronts or rears at the same time.

I guess I'll get Atlantic Brit to ship me rear rotors & pads and have a local garage install them. If I had more time I'd try the job myself.

Thanks all. Marty

MartyG

Reaction score
Question: If my dealer somehow gave me an incredible trade-in offer when I try to sell my LR4 would I have a problem if they discovered I replaced OEM rotors and brakes with Atlantic British parts? Or some other non-OEM parts?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: If my dealer somehow gave me an incredible trade-in offer when I try to sell my LR4 would I have a problem if they discovered I replaced OEM rotors and brakes with Atlantic British parts? Or some other non-OEM parts?

Personally I wouldn’t stress over it especially if there’s still some good meat left on the aftermarket rotors and pads. Atlantic British sells good quality stuff. If you’re talking about crap parts from the bargain bin, that might be another story. Even then it doesn’t seem like they’d make a huge adjustment to the quote. What’s a brake job at a dealership, around $1K/axle? So hopefully an “incredible trade-in offer” would have room for an adjustment like that. It sounds like dealers right now are just trying to get their hands on nice LR4s.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would be astonished if the sales reps would know the difference.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are inclined to do your own work. You can remove the rotor and have it turned at a local auto parts store and reuse it. It would make sense to install new pads. If you have a NAPA auto parts store or any other parts store you should be able to pick up new pads and replace them. Make sure you put the pins in the same hole where they were removed. Not a difficult job if you have the tools and the inclination.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM