2nd row center console Vent behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grendal_Fly

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the 2nd row center console vents are not controlled by the rear climate controls, but by the front controls. Can anyone confirm this?
The reason I ask is not matter what setting I put any of the controls on front or rear these behavior of these vents never changes. Right now they blow cool air at a low voulme no matter what I try. Can anyone confirm different behavior since I am taking it in for the 15K service and want to get this fixed (assuming it is broken). Yes it took me alomost 1 a year before I rode in the back seat of my LR3 :)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a little button on the front AC controls that switches between "Controlled by Front, Controlled by Rear Controls, and Off"... Sorry, not in my car right now. :smile: It's documented in the manual. I think the button has two lights...

S

san6279

From pg. 109, item 8, Rear Environment Control. Push once (upper amber light on) - front controls rear, Push twice (lower amber light on) - rear controls rear, Push three time (amber lights off) - disables feature.

Just checked mine. Works as stated.

Grendal_Fly

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I know how to operate the rear controls. My issue is that the time any air blows out of these is when I am in "A" mode. If I give control to the rear , nothing comes out of these.

S

san6279

Yeah, after I answered I realized you were only talking about the center console vents, which I didn't verify. I'll check tonight if I get a chance and get back to you.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for mis-understanding your question. Regarding the lower rear center vents... yes, I think they are controlled from the front and are powered by the same source as the front dash vents. (If I close each front facing vent, their output is higher.) But I'm not sure. They've never put out an excessive amount of air... but enough. (Before or after the climate control software "upgrade" -- the "test" I just did is with the new logic, though.)

The rear controls seem to be for the top vents only... as the center console vents stay the same no matter how they are set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendal_Fly

Reaction score
Grommet,
Thanks . Either we both have the same problem or as I suspected the design of these vents leaves alot to be desired. Hopefully I will not have to sit in the back seat again :)

X

xcursion

Just tried it in mine. Same here. Rear center vent stays on regardless of the setting.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've resigned myself to nver understanding this system fully.

X

xcursion

It's really not so bad, ya just have to look at it with a British common sense...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge