99 Disco II Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edelherb

Reaction score
First of all, Hello to all LR owners in LandRoverWorld!

My 99 Disco II (with 170k miles) will no longer start. I have had it for two and a half years and have repaired/replaced the following:

Head Gaskets
Serp belt (twice) / both jockey pulleys
Water Pump / Fan
Alternator
PAS Pump
Plugs (Bosch - sorry Joey, it was before I had read any of these forums)
Plug Wires
Air Filter

For the past couple of weeks it has been running with little to no power during acceleration. Idled fine. Mild 'chirping' sound during slow acceleration. Very slow to accelerate to speed on Interstate ramps. Once at speed (65-70mph), it would cruise along nicely.

Was on our way home after going out to dinner. Stopped at a red light. When the light turned, I pressed the accelerator and the engine choked out and died. It turns over, but seems to be lacking fuel. I think it is getting spark. No CEL or SES light.

Where do I start?

Crank Sensor
MAF Sensor
O2 Sensor(s)
Fuel Pump
ECU

It has been my DD since I've owned it. Bleeds oil somewhere on top (poss. valve cover) and has a PAS fluid leak that I have not been completely able to rectify.

I have about a week to order the needed parts and get back on the road. Any help / advice is appreciated....

edelherb

Reaction score
Kinda what I thought..

Thanks Joey!

Started to pull cargo carpet back to get access. All screws holding down the access plate are rusted and may take some persuasion... it's going to take longer than I thought. Hope this is the problem.... Don't really have the time or $$ to waste.

Will update once I have made some progress.

Thank you,
Scott

edelherb

Reaction score
Fuel Pump

Finally got to the pump. Had to Dremel new slots into the phillips-head screws to get them to come out of the access plate. It seems that the pump is cranking once the key is turned to position 2. Will a code reader work without the engine running? Can I pull OBDII codes just from the 'accessory' position?

I am beginning to think that it is something else... crank sensor? I unplugged the MAF and it didn't help....

Still thinking fuel pump Joey?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, but with that many miles I will still say pump... Check it first though and let me know what kind of pressure you have.

edelherb

Reaction score
That 'sounds' easy enough...

Is there any other way to check the fuel pressure other than at the rail? Getting past the coils and the upper intake could be a problem... I don't really want to remove them (again)... Can I check it @ the pump?

The wife is getting antsy.... Gotta figure this out soon.

Thanks Joey! If you're ever in Columbus... look me up.

-S/\/\AC

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Checking at the rail is the only way I know how to do it on a Rover... can't you access the shradder valve without removing everything?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Joey stated - you have to start with the basics - i.e., fuel pressure which you should be able to easily access right there on the fuel rail via the shradder valve.

If the pressure checks out as A-ok - then you can start monkeying with the crank sensor which, by the way, was a pretty good guess - as when they go soft - your engine will not start. The trouble is that a shot CS will throw a MIL code but one that is just on the cusp of that will not - so you will end up chasing all sorts of expensive items that are not the problem. The official LR manual will tell you that the CS is the most important sensor on your engine - and they are not kidding around on that!

Oh, one other thing - on the Disco I - the crank sensor is a bugger to get at and mind that you do not destroy its heat shield in the process (i.e., the heat shield and crank sensor are held in place by two bolts that pass through, first the shield, then the sensor's spacer (do not lose the spacer either or nasty things can happen). I am assuming the Disco II is not much different on this.

Wolf

First of all, Hello to all LR owners in LandRoverWorld!

My 99 Disco II (with 170k miles) will no longer start. I have had it for two and a half years and have repaired/replaced the following:

Head Gaskets
Serp belt (twice) / both jockey pulleys
Water Pump / Fan
Alternator
PAS Pump
Plugs (Bosch - sorry Joey, it was before I had read any of these forums)
Plug Wires
Air Filter

For the past couple of weeks it has been running with little to no power during acceleration. Idled fine. Mild 'chirping' sound during slow acceleration. Very slow to accelerate to speed on Interstate ramps. Once at speed (65-70mph), it would cruise along nicely.

Was on our way home after going out to dinner. Stopped at a red light. When the light turned, I pressed the accelerator and the engine choked out and died. It turns over, but seems to be lacking fuel. I think it is getting spark. No CEL or SES light.

Where do I start?

Crank Sensor
MAF Sensor
O2 Sensor(s)
Fuel Pump
ECU

It has been my DD since I've owned it. Bleeds oil somewhere on top (poss. valve cover) and has a PAS fluid leak that I have not been completely able to rectify.

I have about a week to order the needed parts and get back on the road. Any help / advice is appreciated....

edelherb

Reaction score
Fuel Pump has arrived...

Hoping that this will fix the Rover.

Local salvage yard offered one for $55. Couldn't pass that up for troubleshooting the problem. Crank sensor is the next option... Will spend the three day weekend installing the fuel pump and checking it out.

Will be out of town on business next week, so I hope to post an update on the fuel pump test by Sunday...

Thanks Wolf and Joey for all of your help!

-Scott

edelherb

Reaction score
Fuel pump installed

Got the pump installed Saturday evening. Started up on the second try ( I assume the fuel line was empty during the first attempt.

Seems to be okay now.

Still seems to be underpowered though. Clicking/tapping/chirping sound at low rpms, I am thinking valves or tappets.....

At least it runs now. It should get me to the airport tomorrow so that I can get to work.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9