AC stops blowing cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrp86

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with AC?

My LR will blow super cold air cruising HWY speeds, but as soon as I slow down as I hit a city the air stops cooling. I have to accelerate RPMs to get it back going or accelerate over 3500 rpms to get it back going.

any ideas?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup happened to me as well. I dealt with it for as long as possible and then bit the bullet and replaced the compressor. To my understanding it’s because the compressor it’s too weak and needs the engines rpm assistance to spin the Compressors clutch so it can do this job. However before you jump to any conclusions on a worn out compressor I’d try refilling the freon fluid.

Mehmet C

Reaction score
The A/C problems seem to be a common issue for LR4s. I've read over 10 threads about the same problem(As a new LR owner, I just registered to a lot of LR forums).
Compressor change seems to do the trick. Or I quote from another forum "My local repair shop (non Land Rover) hooked it up a machine for the new refrigerant and ran diagnostic test. He said the old days of throwing a gauge on it and adding freon was over. The machine extracted the fluid, scrubbed it, added lubricant as needed and had them start the car and added the required level all on its own. It even printed out a diagnostic report of the quality of the fluid and the system efficiency."
Hope it helps.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the AC system on this car doesn't seem much different than any other system Ive done DIY repairs on.

the AC compressor in my LR4 didnt work at all when I bought the car.
a set of manifold gauges confirmed there was 0 pressure in the system, preventing the system from engaging.
i pulled a vaccum. vaccum held for 1 hr without any drop. added the proper amount of R134a. blows ice cold.
ive checked pressure about 1 month after the repair, it is still the same as when i filled it, which confirms there are no leaks.
Im guessing a half-assed prior repair was not actually finished by filling the system.

anyway, low freon is most likely not the OP's issue. Although, If you have a set of manifold gauges, you can hook them up and hold about 1500 RPM and see what happens to the pressures.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this on my 2012 -- it was just slightly low on refrigerant. Might want to start by checking pressures or have a shop evacuate and refill.

JoeS

Reaction score
Same thing on mine. I went a full year just dealing with it. I finally went to the auto parts store and bought a couple of cans of refrigerant, followed the directions on the can and I have been freezing the last few weeks with the cold air it puts out now. Can't believe I waited a year to do that. It takes about 10 minutes to do. Just follow directions or follow YouTube video instructions.

Mari Gianati

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this problem right from the get go on my 2016. I thought it was in my head because the AC would crank up at high speeds. Dealership added Freon and had no problems until last week. This time it was a broken hose. I am sorry for all of you but feel better that I’m not the only one dealing with such a basic feature in this model. I live in PR and like someone from Houston said, it’s a life threatening situation here!

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand this, California is no different.

I had this problem right from the get go on my 2016. I thought it was in my head because the AC would crank up at high speeds. Dealership added Freon and had no problems until last week. This time it was a broken hose. I am sorry for all of you but feel better that I’m not the only one dealing with such a basic feature in this model. I live in PR and like someone from Houston said, it’s a life threatening situation here!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut