Acceleration/braking problems anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RRVR 619

Reaction score
We have a LR4 with approx 3600 miles on it. Have had no problems since we got it in late January until recently. Twice now we have had trouble braking. Both times were at low speed and it seemed like the car was accelerating when trying to stop. The second time my wife could actually hear the engine revving as she was braking. We were able to stop the car both times but easily could have caused an accident or hit something had we been in traffic. The first time the dealer kept the car for several days and says they thoroughly checked the brakes, were unable to duplicate the problem through test driving and the diagnostics did not show any problems. The car is currently at the dealer again and they have already told us they can not find anything but were going to look at it again today. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? We don't really feel comfortable just picking it up and waiting for it to happen again. Otherwise we love the car but I guess we'll have to start down the painful lemon law process if they keep telling us they can't find anything.
Accelerator malfunction?

I'm very curious to see if you resolved this with the dealer....We just had the same issue with our 09' Range Rover Sport...very scary! My husband actually went over a curb and took out a fence...with his foot on the "brake" the entire time. We are looking @ several thousand dllrs in damage to the car...not to mention the property damage. The car is at the dealer now...but of course they are saying nothing is wrong with the car!!

ebforce

Reaction score
I belive the described problem has nothing to do with the brakes. I believe this experience occurs in a SportAuto mode. Specifically, what happends in that mode is the transmission is callibrated to upshift and downshift at higher RPM. When you brake under specific circumstances, the transmission initiates downshift at high RPM say 3K, and connects the reved up engine to your driveline. Ones that happends you are not only braking the vehicle, but your revved up engine with the flywheelin additoon to that. That is what creates a sensation of a sudden increase in effort to stop the car. The car almost launges forward. This may happen multiple times as you decelerate through 3-2 and 2-1 downshifts. Keep in mind it will only downshift into the first in a sport mode. Try braking from third or fourth gear with an Automanual shift, it will stop smooth every time. The problem is exacurbated by how transmission adaptation takes place. Adptation algorithms do not like multiple drivers... Try resetting transmission adaptation, see what happends. I doubth LR will improve this though... Call NHTSA and say it is a safety issue like perception of a sudden acceleration. That might get their attention.

ByGuile

Reaction score
I now have over 60,000KM on my LR4, and the brakes are still fine.
My dealer told me there was a bulletin out for the brake issue, that my vehicle was not affected so no action was needed.
Who knows?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72