Acceleration/braking problems anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brakes feel fantastic on my '10. better than the '09 cayenne s i drove, or the porsche bbk i have installed on my passat.

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old LR4 HSE / Lux package. Love the vehicle, and while I have a few quibbles about the truck, so far....the brakes have NOT been one of them. In fact, I could have wrote a bit about how GREAT the breaks are. We just got out of a 2007 BMW X5 with the sport package. I swear our LR4 (2010 model) breaks better, more consistently with less effort then our BMW did. Just last weekend, I had to "lay" on the breaks in congested traffic and was amassed at how fast I was able to gain control and stop (much to the dismay of my passenger----who happened to be my freakishly bad to drive with Mother-in-law). While I'm not saying you guys don't have a mechanical problem, it surely could exist. My first thought is what other posters have stated. Perhaps you are inadvertently stepping / pressing both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time??? In any event, I hope you get it ironed out. Good luck to you!

Cheers,

Joe

I haven't had any issue with my brakes at all.Maybe I'm just being too careful with my truck because its soooo new and I'm babying it.

harjenmom

Reaction score
Got our LR4 last January, I too, in the beginning accidentally double stepped on gas and brake with my right foot. I think I have naturally changed the angle of my foot when driving. I would be especially careful in the winter wearing something like Ugg boots! Bigger problem is that with a 9 month old car we had to do a complete brake job!!!! We live on a hill (not a mountain, I assure you), and have never had an issue with brakes in any other car we have owned. Service department says the car is sooooo heavy that the act of braking at the stop sign each day is wearing out the brakes prematurely. It cost over $1200, and this was not an expense I was anticipating on a car that is supposed to be virtually maintenance free.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on your LR4? Just curious, as everything I've seen or heard about the LR4 breaks have suggested a break like closer to 30k miles, then the often 20K miles of the older LR3. We have some friends with a RRS and they had to do a break job at approximately 25K miles. It too was around $1200 or so.

Cheers,

Joe

harjenmom

Reaction score
Get ready...13,800 miles. I cannot imagine spending this kind of money every 9 months. I am planning on calling the manufacturer.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would! That sounds like something was wrong from the start! Perhaps they were not adjusted properly. I would NOT want to spend that kind of cash every 9 to 12 months. That's partly why I shied away from BMW on this go round. We had an X5 with 20" run flats that cost me $2000.00 after just 18K miles. That was about 14 months for me. I was really ****** and swore I'd never buy a vehicle with run flats again. We replaced the Michelin's with Bridgestones, and ended up dumping the vehicle with about 42k miles and nearly worn tires. Three years, and two sets of $2k tires. That sucked! We did have to have a break job on the vehicle at about 38 or 39K miles, but BMW paid for that as part of their "paid maintenance" program. Evidently, if you wear out their breaks within the 50K warranty period, they'll pay for one break job. Too bad LR doesn't offer something like that!

cheers,

Joe

ByGuile

Reaction score
I have over 30,000 KM on my 2010 LR4, at the 25,000KM service they told me the brakes were fine. I drive a lot of highway, and I am not a "jam on the brakes at the last second" kind of driver.
Your milage may vary, a the saying goes......

Last edited:

netstalker

Reaction score
Yep Joe.
I did notice that as I pay attention to Audi type mistakes :)
On my test drive of the LR4 and LR2 my size 14 shoe would touch both pedals if I did not try to keep my Right foot to the extreme right. The wrong mats could even make it worse.

slammer

Reaction score
Several times going into my garage, I felt like the brakes were not going to catch and stop me in time. A wierd feeling. Backing out of my driveway in the morning going to work, I hear a sqeeking from the brake shoes almost every day when reversing.
Also, two times now in 1700 miles, my size 14's got caught on both pedals and found it revving a little while braking up to a stop sign.
Also as a side note, I have never in 35 years had so much brake dust/dirt on my rims as I do weekly on my new LR4's front rims. Seems there is something telling me there is a lot of wear going on and maybe it should be looked at.

MMC2488

Reaction score
I have had that happen a couple of times right after getting of the highway. But only when I have the Sport Mode on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72