Acceleration/braking problems anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrr8400

Reaction score
We have a LR4 with approx 3600 miles on it. Have had no problems since we got it in late January until recently. Twice now we have had trouble braking. Both times were at low speed and it seemed like the car was accelerating when trying to stop. The second time my wife could actually hear the engine revving as she was braking. We were able to stop the car both times but easily could have caused an accident or hit something had we been in traffic. The first time the dealer kept the car for several days and says they thoroughly checked the brakes, were unable to duplicate the problem through test driving and the diagnostics did not show any problems. The car is currently at the dealer again and they have already told us they can not find anything but were going to look at it again today. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? We don't really feel comfortable just picking it up and waiting for it to happen again. Otherwise we love the car but I guess we'll have to start down the painful lemon law process if they keep telling us they can't find anything.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never felt the engine reving upon stopping, but we both have noticed that the car is much more difficult to stop than any other vehicle we have ever owned...it seems like im always pressing the brake to the floor at the lest second even though i have left plenty of time to stop. My wife and I have both noticed this.

rrr8400

Reaction score
These two times there was definitely something wrong - we've never had trouble braking any other time. The dealer insists they cannot find anything wrong so they want us to come pick it up tomorrow. Not sure what we're going to do at this point. My wife is kind of uneasy driving the car now waiting for it to happen again...

ByGuile

Reaction score
On my initial test drive the LR4 did this to me.
Engine revving when I pressed the brakes, and did not want to stop.
I was pressing the Gas and the break at the same time.
The peddles are close to each other and it is an easy mistake to make.
Could this be what is happening to you?

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first couple of weeks of owning the LR4, I did this probably 3 times, once almost running into my garage door. The issue for me is that the accel and brake are much closer than in my truck which I drive most often, and I was hitting both pedals at the same time, like the poster above. It confused the hell out of me at first, but by simply shifting my heel a little more to the right, it hasn't happened since. I would try driving barefoot for a while and seeing if it ever happens when you KNOW you are only pressing the brake before taking it down to the dealership.

lisap123

Reaction score
We have had exactly the same problem with acceleration/braking.

I could have written the same post about the accelerating when braking. I had two situations the other day --one when I was at a 4 way intersection and then the second when I was leaving a parking lot. I read the responses that asked if your wife had possibly had her foot on the gas when she was braking, and I am 100% sure that this was not the case with me. Our car is at the dealership now and they haven't yet found a problem and I am not sure what to do if they call and tell us the car is fine....because it is not.

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have written the same post about the accelerating when braking. I had two situations the other day --one when I was at a 4 way intersection and then the second when I was leaving a parking lot. I read the responses that asked if your wife had possibly had her foot on the gas when she was braking, and I am 100% sure that this was not the case with me. Our car is at the dealership now and they haven't yet found a problem and I am not sure what to do if they call and tell us the car is fine....because it is not.

This is my first LR and I do find braking a tad tricky. You need to apply the brakes a little harder than you think. Not sure because of the weight of the truck or just bad brake system in general.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm extreemly happy with the brakes of my LR4. They feel like they could stop a train.

Now most of you will already know this, but they totally redesigned the brakes for the LR4. The LR3 had much smaller brakes.

Rob

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the brakes on the LR are monsters. To the poster above who is sure of the problem, please try driving barefoot for a while and see if the problem is persistent before taking it to the dealer. If you are too insistent on this issue and it turns out it is fine, they may be dismissive when there is a genuine issue.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We now have close to 5000 miles on our three month....

Old LR4 HSE / Lux package. Love the vehicle, and while I have a few quibbles about the truck, so far....the brakes have NOT been one of them. In fact, I could have wrote a bit about how GREAT the breaks are. We just got out of a 2007 BMW X5 with the sport package. I swear our LR4 (2010 model) breaks better, more consistently with less effort then our BMW did. Just last weekend, I had to "lay" on the breaks in congested traffic and was amassed at how fast I was able to gain control and stop (much to the dismay of my passenger----who happened to be my freakishly bad to drive with Mother-in-law). While I'm not saying you guys don't have a mechanical problem, it surely could exist. My first thought is what other posters have stated. Perhaps you are inadvertently stepping / pressing both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time??? In any event, I hope you get it ironed out. Good luck to you!

Cheers,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72