Bleeding brakes and brake reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of work done to my LR4 and one ask was to flush the brake fluid. It seems like they did flush the brakes, but in the pic below doesn't it look suspect where the front compartment looks like it has fresh fluid, the middle is fair enough and then the back looks pretty dirty? I called them and they will look at it. I also noticed my front diff breather is missing and I definitely need that. I'm glad I did the front xover because I would have been fording water w/out a front diff breather. Any thoughts on the color of brake fluid in the reservoir?

Lq7J23s.jpg

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These reservoirs have three "compartments" . One is for the hydraulic clutch, for vehicles with the manual transmissions.
They probably didn't suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir before doing the flush.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sound right that they probably didn't remove the fluid. The front-end guy said that is how they are supposed to do it. Remove the fluid, add fluid and then bleed with a vacuum bleeder.

Aside from that, the metal splash plate below the engine was missing two bolts and one of the two existing bolts spun. Its backing hole was loose I think since I heard it twisting as I unscrewed the bolt. The wire loom mounts weren't put back into place either. I put some of them back but it isn't obvious where the others go.

The engine is starting and running fine so they did the timing chain and actuators correctly. They actually replaced the parts they said they would as far as I can tell, although I didn't check the spark plugs. The valve cover gasket leaks again, I found that if I don't run it hard its fine and I brought that problem in to them so it isn't their fault. I'd like to be able to R it out without fear of springing another leak that smokes oil out the side of the engine bay while at the off ramp light or when climbing a steep grade. It might need a new valve cover and it looks like they are plastic. I haven't seen that until now. The valve cover bolts look like a PITA to get to on the drivers side toward the fender. I couldn't see them or feel them.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it back to them and they got more of the dirty fluid out. It looks better.

cROdYHc.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72