Alignment Defect / Uneven Premature Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3Defect

Reaction score
Vehicle is 2006 and I got it when '07s came out (about October of 06).

Bottom line for me is that whether this issue manifests itself at 5,000 or 25,000 miles it's not the result of normal wear and tear...it's a manufacturing defect.

I'll probably end up going the ditance - to small claims, but again, the fact that these class actions have been filed really ruins it for everyone else because any accomodation LR made for me (in the ansence of my filing a small claims suit and forcing a result) - could be used as some type of admission of guit or precedent for a class action settlement. So LR is hyper-sensitive.

I'm just fed up. At this point my only recourse is to continue inundating LRNA with emails so that I basically eat up $1,000 worth of thier employees/service reps time. Small victory, I know.

I'm really hoping to get some local consumer advocate TV reported to pick up on the case - but no luck yet.

LR3Defect

Reaction score
FYI - For those of you who are annoyed (no one has complained yet though) by all my type-o's (I am).....I had a surgery recently - so im typing with one hand. Aint easy. Sorry.

tonking

Reaction score
Uneven/Premature Tire Wear

The mileage on my 2008 LR3 was about 7000 miles when I noticed that both front inner tires had uneven wear. The dealership stated that this was not a manufacturing defect (which I did not believe) but corrected the alignment without charging me.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you read my scary tire story post but it looks as if I too have this problem on my 05 LR3. My situation is a bit different only because I just picked up the truck at 42k miles about 8 weeks ago. What ****** me off is that my dealer actually sold the vehicle with tires that were 100% unsafe and not to mention that they are aware of this alignment issue. They would not replace my tires and only offered cost on Wrangler HP's at 303 a piece which is definitely not cost. In my case I have chosen to purchase a new set of tires because my vehicle which I paid 22k for 8 weeks ago was not safe to drive! What is even more disturbing is that the GM my local stealership actually told me they will not align my vehicle unless I purchase tires through them! Tomorrow I am taking my LR3 to a very trust worth local indy alignment shop to go through it. I am personally choosing to take them to small claims court over this issue.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document everything with photos (you posted some) and shame them before the bench with how the tires looked shortly after sale. Report this franchised (!) dealer to your state's licensing authority for selling a car with tires showing wear levels below the Federal wear bars. The tires were not legal for road use.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I took my 05 into the Indy Alignment shop today and it looks as if it was out of alignment fairly severe, even though I when I drove it went straight down the road. The Indy GM said that my tires would only last 15-20k with it like that. In about an hours time he had it back to spec and it only cost me $60. Dealer wanted to charge me $195. When I looked at the rig from the front last night I could notice my tires were slanted outward bulldog style...
Drives excellent now! A bit smother and easier is the best description of the difference.

Aaron

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, this big rig eats tires at 15-20 if you drive hard regardless of alignment! Really, that's a great outcome for an alignment story. Turn in must be much more precise, feels better along crown of road surfaces I bet.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so sure about that...I expect to get far more than 15-20k out of my Synchrones. I am not sure how many I've put on them (I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 25-30K already) and they look new.

I've never had a Michelin tire that I didn't get GREAT wear out of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9