alternator problems 97 d1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jquarles28

Reaction score
i have put 3 alternators on my rover in 2 years .the last one i got used off a 63k mile rover and it lasted 2 hours then died is there a common problem that does this or ??? please help.:hello::confused: its a 97 D1 with 190K 4.0 AT its all stock with altrain tires

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner I have been rather busy with my new toy...

What was the fix? I would assume a bad ground.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to Joey's good advice - I would make certain my serp belt-tensioner was not tending to seize as that can contribute to the early demise of an alternator.

garcher

Reaction score
I have a 96 disco that has recently started eating alternators, the last one lasted about one week. Does anyone know what causes this?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they new, used or rebuilt?
Most rebuilts are short lived, used is a gamble and new is the only way to go as far as I am concerned unless you can find a shop in town that will test and rebuild your's for you.

garcher

Reaction score
96 Disco 1 alternator problems

Yes they have been brand new alternators. What could cause them to just stop charging?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What bran and where did you buy them? You rarely ever hear of a brand new, not re-manufactured alt. failing. Have you ever had just the battery checked, how about the amp flow when the engine is off?

garcher

Reaction score
96 Disco 1 alternator problems

I purchased them at OBB staters and alternators. Who will replace it no problem but what is the point if it's just going to fry another one. The first one it fried was a Bosch, not sure what this one is other than affordable so to speak.
Yes I checked the battery first.
No I have not checked the amp flow, I don't think I know how. I am not a proff. mechanic just a poor, retired man trying to keep his only vehicle running. I sure could use some help if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be an Italian alternator if it is original to the system - not a Bosch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM