ARB Front Bumper for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as to how the LR4 handles after putting that HEAVY bumper on it... After installing a TJM bumper (ARB competitor) on my 97 D1, the car became a pig. I love the look, and functionality, but the vehicle's handling and performance went out the window (I have OME shocks and springs btw). I am ok with that tradeoff on the D1, but wouldn't be with the LR4/D4
Those were my thoughts exactly - that's why I would like to chat with someone who has had this on their LR4 for a while. I did communicate with some guys in Australia, and they say it does not affect any on the road ride quality, etc., but I don't trust that 100% because those guys can be nuts (in a good way).

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shot you a PM. I just put the Kaymar rear on and have a winch tray in the front. The fact is, you can feel the difference. I have an ARB in storage for the future as I really like the design but won't install until the front bumper fails. The truck (V8) still accelerates very briskly, but I have noticed a drop of 1-2MPG after the additions (I have full skids, 2nd battery and aluminum rock sliders). The truck doesn't roll more from what I perceive in turns and doesn't handle much differently otherwise. But it is clear the weight is affecting the mileage as you might expect.

Lucky8 is stating they are working with TF on a rear swing away design. I'd love if someone could come up with a hybrid that can be removed when not in use easily. I still ride on stock tires (blizzaks in winter) around town. The swing out is not so much a pain but I have to remind folks before they open the rear hatch to release it.

Long story short, I would expect the mileage to drop of course, you may feel some front end weight shift since you are adding 200lbs. Definitely go with a synthetic rope for the weight savings.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, for the ARB bumper, it says in the pdf (http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/file/3432200i.pdf) that its not suitable for HSE and V8 models. Anyone know why?
I saw that too; however, I think those are the previous instructions intended for the non-US Discovery 4 and it was a bit different. If you look at the pictures, then it looks as though they are using an LR3? From what I was told, the bumper does fit the NA V8 (all trims), though the instructions are not updated.

I don't know how much to believe? I should contact ARB again.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they have a solution for the parking sensors and even the turn signals... and fog lights.

Seems like a complete kit.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they have a solution for the parking sensors and even the turn signals... and fog lights.

Seems like a complete kit.
Yep...Those are integrated into the bumper. That was one of my questions, I wanted to know (in real life) how the whole set up works and if people had problems with the sensors, etc.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shot you a PM. I just put the Kaymar rear on and have a winch tray in the front. The fact is, you can feel the difference. I have an ARB in storage for the future as I really like the design but won't install until the front bumper fails. The truck (V8) still accelerates very briskly, but I have noticed a drop of 1-2MPG after the additions (I have full skids, 2nd battery and aluminum rock sliders). The truck doesn't roll more from what I perceive in turns and doesn't handle much differently otherwise. But it is clear the weight is affecting the mileage as you might expect.

Lucky8 is stating they are working with TF on a rear swing away design. I'd love if someone could come up with a hybrid that can be removed when not in use easily. I still ride on stock tires (blizzaks in winter) around town. The swing out is not so much a pain but I have to remind folks before they open the rear hatch to release it.

Long story short, I would expect the mileage to drop of course, you may feel some front end weight shift since you are adding 200lbs. Definitely go with a synthetic rope for the weight savings.
Thanks so much! I will respond to your PM.

I expected that there would be a drop in MPG, that's not surprising. I already have pretty crappy gas mileage because of the accessories, what's a few more MPG loss! ;-)

I am still debating the whole ARB front bumper, as it is a bit committment. I got a price quote from an independnet Land Rover garage that is local and is an authorized ARB shop.

I am still up in the air about the Kaymar rear bumper, though I like the idea of having the stronger bumper and tire carrier. I know Voyager (and maybe Rasta4x4?) has a swing-away tire carrier, but I am on the fence.

If I get the ARB, I am absolutely going with synthetic rope on the winch.

Thanks again!

-David

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

I have the Kaymar on the rear with the tire carrier and overall, I like it. Its Heavy and yes its often a pain to open the tire before opening the hatch, but I like it. First, something about a "Real" bumper just makes sense. I can back into a lot of crap without worrying about it verses the expense of having to replace all that plastic. Also, it looks great. I also always worried about needing to get to the spare under the truck is I was off road sitting in the sand or mud. The logic of having a problem where the truck is sitting at its lowest and then having to retieve the spare from under the truck just seemed silly. The tire hanging out there gives the truck a whole different look and is really what did it for me.

I haven't done anything on the front yet, I'm hoping for a new entry into the market. For me, the ARB is currently just too large. I like the other bumper that they make for the LC200 without the brush guard, but its not available yet. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Good luck.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is funny you mention this. I was considering what the ARB would look like without the bull bar.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is funny you mention this. I was considering what the ARB would look like without the bull bar.

Here it is on the LandCruiser. The chrome bar is optional. Its called the sahara bumper.

Attachments

• 3915040_50_C.jpg
    3915040_50_C.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM