Aux battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions and or experiences about your setup.

This is what I am planning.

D34m aux battery
Battery isolator (relay style similar to what were in fords but designed for this)
Delay timer set for 9 min to delay charging aux battery (used a security system board) this will let the starter battery charge first.
Override switch to force relay.

I plan on doing the arb fridge and powering aux outlets and interior lights from it.
This setup out the door will cost 300$.
What is the benefit of the traxide system?
Seems really pricey. 280$ without battery.

I have an electronics background so I know all the ratings are good.

Thanks,
Joe

Trynian

Reaction score
Go with the Traxide. That is what most of us with dual batteries in the LR3 use. Benefit is that most end up spending the same amount doing their own design in the end.

Last edited:

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe, as long as the control for the isolator is voltage sensitive, the system will be automatic.

With an automatic set up, there is no need for any form of time delay and a 9 minute time delay is actually counter productive.

The D3/LR3 alternator is well and truly big enough to be able to charge a low cranking battery and any number of low auxiliary batteries, all at the same time, so once the motor is stated and the alternator is up to speed, you can be charging all your batteries straightaway.

The problem with any form of delay, especially one as long as 9 minutes, is that most journeys are short and not starting to charge your auxiliary battery(s) for 9 minutes means you waste a lot of potential charging time.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx. I did drop the time down. Using a delay timer was only 16$ and was a little easier to wire up. It will split out when the car is off. 6 of one. Works like a charm. Now its time for the fridge!! Getting ready for the land rover rally in Breckinridge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo