Avon Tyre update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Vibrations

If it is pure road speed related vibration, then look to out of balance rotating equipment.

Felt as overall vehicle vibration (seat of the pants) is usually the rear axle. Felt in the steering wheel, the front.

On our Porsches I've seen bent rims, out of balance/faulty rotors, axle shafts, bad bearings.

With engine rpm vibrations - engine load and revs, we've seen engine issues like mounts, improper mixture, etc. or driveline such as flex plate, transmission, driveshaft.

rrover

Reaction score
I have just put on the 255/60/18 Avon tires. After about a 40 minute ride home I have to say that I like them. Very early yet but seems to handle better and less road noise at highway speed. Again it is just 40 miles of driving but they seem better than the Goodyears.

Tirerack.com at 111.00 per tire. Installed myself.

Troy

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 06 with Avon 18's as well. truck came with them and so far.....about 500Kms they are fantastic. I'm watching the wear closely though....will update soon.

arcjones

Reaction score
Hey there, i have the same problems with my goodyear wrangler hp on the rea and am considering the avon tyres. I am in south florida and am more concerned with highway driving and rain. i have the lr3 06. 18" rims. It sounds like yours are wearing in well. What is the vibration from anyway?

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Avon update. Got a puncture today in the sidewall..."crap"! Can't be fixed even though the tires have very little wear on them. I am not sure if the Avon quality has anything to do with it. Weird puncture on the inside of the tire about half way up the sidewall.

Now for the crappy part...the Avon ST Tech from Tirerack are backordered and I am being told might be two months!!! Nice supply chain :)

So..have now checked every dealer in the Northwest US and Canada. Nobody has stock in the ridiculous sizing LR decided to use 255 60 18. Looks like I have to go with three Avons and now 1 something else until the backorder issue is worked out and I can swap in a spare rim I bought off Ebay.

Long update short...the Avons are great but the supply issue makes them a poor choice in my opinion. If you buy them and have a crap mini spare like me.....buy another rim and a 5th Avon in case you have an issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo