Bad suspension compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelkirylo

Reaction score
Ok so I recently had the lower front control arms done. I noticed a couple weeks later that the alignment was really off. my steering wheel was clocked 15 to 20 degrees to the right. I also started getting hdc, emergency brake, stability control faults. the suspension would lower for safety. When I restarted the truck the faults would clear then happen again after driving for a short time. I took the truck back to the shop I had the work done asking about the alignment. they fixed the alignment but said i needed a new suspension compressor and that i had a small oil leak from the vacuum pump. My truck is a 2012 lr4 with about 61k miles on it. They wanted to charge me 3,600 for the work. Sensing that I may be getting ripped off I just went and picked up my car. The alignment is fixed and I am not getting the faults anymore. Could the bad alignment cause those faults? Do I really need a compressor already at this milage? and a vacuum pump ? What do you guys think. seems fishy.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was an older version compressor that was prone to failure. So much that Land Rover changed brands entirely.

@umbertob would know exactly when the production change occurred and the name of the compressors.

Long story short, it is a possibility. However I would be suspicious that all this happened after your trip to the shop. If you aren't getting the faults anymore, I would let it ride a bit and see how it goes. As for the compressor, I would raise and lower the truck a few times. Listen to see if the compressor sounds audibly changed and go from there.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The faults are most likely due to the bad alignment. There is a steering position sensor that was telling the computer that the vehicle should be turning but the wheel speed sensors were telling the computer that it was going straight. Therefore, the computer says something is wrong and am going to throw all these faults at you and not let you use the features that need these inputs that are not in cahoots with each other.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that after lower control arm service, you will always need an alignment as the immediate next step. Did the shop who did your LCAs even suggest this?

michaelkirylo

Reaction score
Yeah they said they did one but I find that hard to believe since it was so far off. Well its been a couple days and I've driven it around quit a bit and still no faults.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they said they did one but I find that hard to believe since it was so far off. Well its been a couple days and I've driven it around quit a bit and still no faults.

My shop took mine to a nearby front end place that they trust and use for alignments (after my LCA service). I was there the entire time it was on the rack and then got the printout of the specs. If I ever have an alignment done sight-unseen, I will ask for the printout for sure, now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM