Best rack for LR4 without factory rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
I’m looking for a rack to carry some gear (surf and paddle boards, maybe bike) but eventually also mount a rooftop tent to…likely a Baroud.

I have a friend that did this with a FrontRunner, but before I plunk down on that, wondering if there are any better setups I might not be aware of?

Any concerns with the FronRunners?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search. This has been discussed several times before. Presumably why you aren't getting a response.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my low profile Voyager rack. Super tough. I can jump on it and I am a big guy.

(Polymax chicken coop flooring, some eo2 mounts for cases or maxtraxx mounts, 100 watt panel on gas struts to lift up.)
E41FB7D3-FFAD-494B-BF96-38D766C0B29F-X2.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
FRO for the win. It's THE most versatile roof rack out there. Endless options to load the rack on top, sides, and even underneath. The slots utilize m8 bolts or nuts, which can be found at any hardware store. Pair m8 bolts with m8 eyelets for strap down points anywhere. Any accessory with holes can be mounted with m8 bolts. No need to get u bolts or special mounting brackets just to mount something to the rack with round bars, like baja designs, voyager, urban off road, etc...

Just my opinion...

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front runner is a good option if you want those specific accessories, but I also think the Voyager style is worth considering. It is steel vs aluminum and its one single solid piece instead of a bunch of parts put together. The voyager is 1" round bar so you can can attach anything to it with fairly simple brackets. I use the KC light mount brackets all over mine. Being one solid part makes it so crazy strong. I would probably not be able to walk around or even jump on a front runner rack, not that you need to be able to do that, but just to illustrate the difference.

Both great options though. I love my front runner drawers.

chrisp

Reaction score
FRO for the win. It's THE most versatile roof rack out there. Endless options to load the rack on top, sides, and even underneath. The slots utilize m8 bolts or nuts, which can be found at any hardware store. Pair m8 bolts with m8 eyelets for strap down points anywhere. Any accessory with holes can be mounted with m8 bolts. No need to get u bolts or special mounting brackets just to mount something to the rack with round bars, like baja designs, voyager, urban off road, etc...

Just my opinion...
In speaking with FRO, it seems like the rack has it's own proprietary setup though? Would you be able to mount other companies kayak racks, etc in the way you've described? What do you mount personally on it?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Proprietary as in how it mounts to the roof, yes. I've mounted a ton of things up there. As long as aftermarket parts have holes for mounting, it mounts. I've had a yakima bike rack, snowboard mount, and even mounted some old round bars up there. I have thule stuff too, mounted thule aeroblades (upgraded from yakima round bars) to mount a thule force xl cargo box.

The slats uses m8 bolts, you can slide ANY length m8 bolt through the slat pointing upwards to mount whatever accessory and secure it with an m8 nyloc nut.

What's your concern? What accessory do you need/want to mount?

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ProSpeed rack is definitely worth considering too. It's high quality and low profile.

I had the FrontRunner rack for a couple of years. It's strong and there are a ton of accessories available, but it has terrible wind noise at speeds >70mph.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV