Black out driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know what you are thinking, why would I want black out driving conditions, well, I use my LR3 for work, and I should not have lights while working, it would give me away. No I'm not a drug dealer, I hunt poachers, so brake lights are frowned upon.

So my question is, is there a way I can put my brake lights and interior lights on a switch, so I can flip the switch and have no brake lights or instrument lights? My partner and I frequently find ourselves in a field at night, and while I can turn the lights off while we are sitting there, the light from the radio and instrument cluster have a effect on the night vision we use (why not turn the vehicle off you ask? well its pretty cold out sometimes and we like heat), as far as brake lights, it would be nice to re position the LR3 without light.

Is there a single wire that controls the brake lights and instrument lights (obviously this would be two wires) or will I have to wire two wires from the brake lights all the way from the back, and another wire from instrument cluster (no idea where that wire is), any help would be greatly appreciated.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk about the brake lights but too bad you can't find some NVIS-compatible LEDs to pop into the cabin lights. Then you wouldn't have to be in the dark and your goggles would still work.

Your job sounds pretty fun....until it's not.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dome lights are already red led, I even added a cargo area light strip on a switch, it's that radio and the instrument cluster that get us, can turn those off, if the lights are on, the dash is dim, but you turn the headlights off the instrument lights are was too bright

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it appears I was drunk when I posted that, way to many grammar errors.

still drunk though oh well.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can put up with the potential faults, you might try pulling the brake and backup light fuses. Drive it and see what happens. If it works, you could add a switch or relay to enable / disable the circuit.

You can disable the auto-dome lights via the center button on the top (roof) control panel.

You can use the knob next to/under the headlight switch to turn down the dash lights all the way.

The brake lights do not work when the key is turned off.

Hope that helps, want to hear more about the poachers.. You're either a game warden or live in an interesting country.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM