Bluetooth PTI vs. Factory Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

As I've posted before, I'm having significant problems with the LR Bluetooth PTI phone kit installed by the dealer in my '05 LR3 HSE-7. I was wondering if anyone knew if the "brains/BT box" for the PTI kit in my '05 can be replaced by a similar one that might be in the '06 models (I'm not even sure how it's all wired in the '06....just hoping that it might be the same). I have tested my phone in the '06 and it seems to work much better. I don't care about the touchpad number dialing or what shows up on the radio screen....just need the bluetooth to work (as a headset might).

Thanks.

X

xcursion

Funny how yours work with 06 and not 05. I thought they are the same unit. Incorrect installation on the dealer part, maybe? Have you been able to hook up with any BT phone on the 05?

D

deanz

I think the systems are actually different in '05 vs. '06

For one thing the code that you punch in for the initial pairing is different. For the '05 it's "0000," for the '06 it's "2121," I believe (could be 2424...).

Anyway, they do perform very differently - unfortunately. My wife's Motorola RZR seems to do better than my Blackberry 7290, but the system is really unacceptable.

B

Baben

I just had the bluetooth kit installed in our TDV6SE by our local LR dealer, and it works great with our Nokia 6680's.
By the way, the passcode was 0000, even though this is a new kit. Will get the part number if you are interested. Apparently they had to install 2 modules, not just one. Price was a big discussion. They wanted to charge $1000+, but after a lot of armwrestling, I am going to pay $500 (we are in South Africa, and the impression I get is that we pay a bit more for parts than other markets). What have you been paying?

My humble opinion is that most of the time the handset is the problem when it comes to BT connections. I had a Motorola BT kit in my Disco2, which never worked properly with my wife's Nokia 6680, but always worked fine with my 6600 and 6680! All the settings were identical, but her phone frequently disconnected from the Disco.

Make sure you have the vehicle paired correctly, and that it is enabled to make connections without authorisation being required. (apologies if this has been covered already)

In my BMW I have an aftermarket OEM kit that I bought from TVonNav, and all the handsets I have tried work just perfectly on this kit.

Interesting that the BMW and LR kits use the same voice commands, and work almost identically, although I have a slightly german-sounding female voice in the BMW as opposed to the slightly english voice in the LR. LOL

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "factory" version pair code is 2121, the "dealer installed" kit version pair code is 0000. That's quite normal. It has nothing to do with model year... and the "features" have not improved between the years.

The kit version is still a subset of the factory version.

B

Baben

OK. So there is some technical reason why one can't retrofit the full capabilities of the factory kit?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is... it's just a poor design overall.

E

Eire

Baben what part of SA, I lived in JHB for 18 Years, I am irish but now live in America :) I bet i paid a lot for my V8 5.0 HSE more then likely half that what you paid in SA

E

Eire

Yeah i know it well, my parents live in Lonehill and i still have a house in Fourways.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9