Brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oh Crap

Reaction score
So I just bought a 1997 Discovery and found this EXCELLENT site to assist in my new adventure with the LR. I have went through about 15 pages on this site and have not found anything that describes my issue with the brakes...I have NONE. They go to the floor and will partially grab to come to a stop. Obvious, it has brake fluid...but, where do I go from there. The vehicle only has 39K miles and has been sitting for a while. Any help?

txs

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by flushing the brake system to insure you don't have air in the lines. Remove the ABS fuse under the hood to rule out ABS issues.

If the above does not fix anything... then as zzrocool says Master Cylinder.

ZZROCOOL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, how would air get in the brake lines if it has not been worked on?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking more of moisture that will cause air than just air itself.

Oh Crap

Reaction score
By pulling the ABS fuse what would do? I assumed it was the master cylinder..how tough to rebuild or should I replace?

Oh Crap

Reaction score
brakes

Ok, let me try again. what will I be looking for after I pull the ABS fuse? I figured the master cylinder would be my problem. Would it be easy to rebuild myself or buy one?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Master cylinder easy to rebuild or replace... easier t replace, since it would be just pull it out and replace.

ABS fuse will just insure that the ABS system is working correctly. If it is not I have experienced and have heard many others with similar issues that was the ABS acting up rather than other problems. Quick test. If you pull the fuse and brakes work, then it is ABS if it doesn't fix anything then put fuse back in and move to your next step.

Oh Crap

Reaction score
Does not look like the ABS. So looks like the Master cylinder will be overhauled. Any ideas on where I can get the best value?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge