Brake Switch Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
I searched, and I think it is likely that my brake switch is going bad. My issue doesn't seem to be the same as the other questions, so I thought I would post.

Last night I pulled into a parking lot and when I went to shift into park, the truck wouldn't shift. I could move through D1, D2, D, and N, but not Reverse or Park. Played with it for a bit and eventually got the gearbox into park by shutting off the truck.

Once the gearbox was in Park, it was stuck there for a bit, but was fine later.

Any reference/guess for cost on fixing this woudl be appreciated.

John

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like brake switch to me.... easy check is have someone press brake pedal and watch brake lights... if they don't come on or are intermittent replace or at least adjust the brake switch.

If it is the switch they around $70 for Atlantic British... you didn't say if D1 or D2 here is the one for a D1 http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR005794G.cfm

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably $20 or so at NAPA, what year is it? I'll tell you the PN.
If you had which Disco you have in your sig I could have posted the PN now.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched, and I think it is likely that my brake switch is going bad. My issue doesn't seem to be the same as the other questions, so I thought I would post.

Last night I pulled into a parking lot and when I went to shift into park, the truck wouldn't shift. I could move through D1, D2, D, and N, but not Reverse or Park. Played with it for a bit and eventually got the gearbox into park by shutting off the truck.

Once the gearbox was in Park, it was stuck there for a bit, but was fine later.

Any reference/guess for cost on fixing this woudl be appreciated.

John

Nice safety feature a switch known to take a dump, i'm on my 3rd, and for you preventing you from shifting the automatic into park. ***! I've collected the last few from Pick N Pull and rebuilt them to have spares plus use 1st gear as my parking brake no Park with a 5 speed. I got one ticket not knowing the brake lights failed going on. I took the extra Fog Safety light switch and added those other two lights as extra brake lights, this also allows me to see the light inside the Fog Light switch go on when the brake lights are energized. I now know I have brake lights that work plus the extra brake lights that come on from a dark area not from low to bright like the original duel element brake lights. This to wake up the idiots behind me, better with 5 brake lights than the 3rd going on with two that increase in brightness only. A rather stupid safey design not having a black then a light come on vs dim then brighter like a 1157 dual element lamp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72