broken folding seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sgllr3

Now this might be because I showed up at the dealer a day after the labor day weekend rush, but, for the showroom cars, nearly all of the second row seats were broken (quite the embarrassmant for the sales gal).

In particular, the seatback was folded down, and the rear pull strap was stuck in the fully extended (pulled) position. I don't remember if the seat itself was in the lowest position or not. but the seat was completely incompacitated. When I returned a few days later, still broken.

Has this been a problem for others?

F

Freeflytim

Ive gotta a 7 seater and am always folding the 2nd row up and down and flipped front and back. (I use the floor space between 2nd and 3rd rows as hidden storage).

Sometimes one of the seats may not 'latch' properly when Im flipping or moving it around and it does takes a second or two to get it into the 'sweet' spot. But really not an issue.. I just slam it harder! Hell, my dad has a third row in his Suburban (its designed to fit only children) and it takes two PEOPLE to get the thing in or out of the truck. No comparison between the two setups... Ill take mine over his anyday!

I would guess that these seats at your dealer, err, centre are broken because someone was forcing them to do something they can't... tho the rear strap is available when the 2nd row seats are completely flush, they will not flip. They flip only in the 'middle' position... before you make them flush. I also use the metal handle to flip mine and not the strap.

When I placed my 'order' last Feb., I didn't ask for a 7 seater but I got it anyway... and in hindsight Im glad I did....

The space under the 3rd row makes for great storage of small items... towels, tire inflator, clothes, winch remote, 4 D-cell Maglight, .40 GLOCK w/clips:biggrin:, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those straps are weak, especially the plastic piece that connects them to the seat. Mine broke...dealer was quick to replace the plastic piece with a metal piece from the hardware store. Pretty common little problem.

T

toddjb123

Freeflytim said:
The space under the 3rd row makes for great storage of small items... towels, tire inflator, clothes, winch remote, 4 D-cell Maglight, .40 GLOCK w/clips:biggrin:, etc.

Yeah, I'd probably use it for storage if it wasn't such an engineering feat to get all the seats unfolded. Damn...I always have the load space mat and something in the back of my truck. I end up having to take everything out and mess with the privacy shield (which is also a pain) just to get to those seats. As it is, I usually don't offer to drive more than a couple people in the car even though I have a 7 seater...too much of a pain.

Still though, I concur, that its a better setup than any other SUV out there. We don't have much storage space, but the damn thing folds completely flat which is great!

On the pull straps to raise/lower the 2nd row seats; yes, sometimes mine get stuck in the out position. The strap kinks up in the mechanism and you have to free it by hand.

-todd

W

w6000

The second row seats in the LR3 are easy to break. When the seats are completely flat if you try to raise the seat back into the upright position they will break. You have to raise the whole seat upwards and then put the seat in the upright position.

F

Freeflytim

The seatbacks are NOT designed to go into the upright position when the seat is flat!

Are you trying let someone sit in the seat when its flush with the floor??

I figured that out early. And its in the manual.

You must have been forcing it pretty hard to break it.

J

Joe

I broke my second row seat within the first week of owning it. I did it trying to get the 2nd row flat; I was pulling the wrong tab. There's only a plastic push screw holding the elastic strap into the base of the seat. LR has a document that says to replace it with a metal rivet. Although I printed out the service bulletin for them, they just put another plastic screw in its place. I requested that both seats be replaced with the metal rivets, I guess they didn't care.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112